Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1964 PL Cent With Thread On Chin ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 644Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5637 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  3:16 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What do you call this, looking for the right term.
It is part of the coin will not come off and is raised.

Bedrock of the Community
Canada
10240 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Normally a struck through would be incuse but if that is raised, maybe the thread is imbedded into the coin.
A retained struck through? Is there such a term?

Great pictures as always.
Edited by JimmyD
03/09/2021 3:44 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
915 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
JimmyD,
i have not seen one in hand but I do know that "Retained Strike Through errors" are a real thing, only seen photos though.

I wouldent say its a "rare" occurrence but it can happen, I think depending on the size/thickness of the foreign matter plays a big part when it comes to being retained on the surface, if it is thin enough when the coin is being struck it can push the surface metal over top of it slightly keeping it in place.

Edit: Also, normally when something is raised on a coin it is incuse on the die, so MAYBE the strike through happened during the hubbing process, but even then we would probably see more of these if that were the case.
Aggressively searching Canadian Small Cents on a daily basis since 2018.

Some of my Discoveries.
1941 George VI 1 Cent DDO http://goccf.com/t/367977
1976 Queen Elizabeth II 1 Cent DDO http://goccf.com/t/373627
1970 Queen Elizabeth II 1 Cent DDR http://goccf.com/t/364301
1989 Belize 25 Cent's with a Doubled Die Reverse http://goccf.com/t/362747
Edited by JohnWayne007
03/09/2021 3:57 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
10240 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
i have not seen one in hand but I do know that "Retained Strike Through errors" are a real thing, only seen photos though

Thanks JohnWayne 007, I thought I had heard the term before but I wasn't sure.
So a "Retained Struck through" it is.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5637 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  4:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great info guys
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3614 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think that it a metal shaving that fell into the die and then stamped on the coin. It would be nice to find out if the raised "retention" was the same metal as the coin or some other metal that the copper encased when it was struck.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5637 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think that it a metal shaving that fell into the die and then stamped on the coin. It would be nice to find out if the raised "retention" was the same metal as the coin or some other metal that the copper encased when it was struck.

Yes it would but I have no way of doing that.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
935 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2021  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pennysaver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi mcshilling

I have recently purchased a retained struck through from one of the members here, and it looks similar to your coin, but the strike through portion is not raised; it is at the same level as the rest of the design. I would think that a retained struck through would not be raised above the level of the surrounding area of coin unless it had become a bit loose, as the small wire shaving would have been struck into the coin metal at the time of minting and become thoroughly embedded. My experience with this type of error is somewhat limited, however, so there may be factors in play with which I am not completely familiar. Nice find, though!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5637 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2021  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I will have to take a closer look at it.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 644Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05