Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1996 Two Dollar German Planchet - A Modern Grade Rarity

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 684Next Topic  
Learn More...
Canada
9743 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  11:12 am Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I just got this one back from PCGS:

https://www.PCGS.com/cert/40651404

There are six graded at MS-67, and I once owned them all. I traded my first MS-67 to CCF member Ty (the twoonie guy), and my most recent one is being sold to a PCGS Registry collector in Toronto, for a very strong price. This one, I might just tuck away for a while...

If you click on the photo in the link, you'll get an excellent reference image on what a 1996 struck on a German Planchet looks like, fresh off the dies.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1745 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one spp thanks for reference photo
Valued Member
108 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 829729742 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
rare I guess
Learn More...
Canada
9743 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  2:20 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DBM - this one is from the same roll, that I made those sets and sold on eBay. I believe you bought a set from me.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8419 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I did buy a set from you.
I bow to your expertise.
I was making a set of toonies for one of my grandsons, it was the best way to obtain a genuine German planchet at a reasonable price.
Mine was not MS67.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Canada
42 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2021  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Canadianpennyman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is there any way to identify these German planchets without professional analysis?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
2276 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2021  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice. Wild striations on the obverse on inner rim,
looking like radial striations around 7 o'clock inner rim.
Very much Specimen appearance.
RCNA Member
APNA Member
CNCC Member
Learn More...
Canada
9743 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2021  12:14 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Very much Specimen appearance.

Until you look at the raised border separating the ring and core on 1996 specimen coins, and the outer rim edge.

My eBay store
Learn More...
Canada
9743 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2021  12:22 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is there any way to identify these German planchets without professional analysis?

1. tons of experience, handling and examining mint state coins. I have opened and examined at least 40 mint rolls from 1996 over the years.

2. proper lighting.

You can only do this on mint state coins (i.e., never circulated into pocket change). In the learning process, I sacrificed several "questionable" coins by popping the cores and confirming if I was right or wrong (German planchets have grooved cores)

There is an excellent article in the CN Journal on this topic, if you are an RCNA member, you can look up the author 'Flamenbaum' and find it.

My eBay store
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 684Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05