Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Should The US Keep The Penny?

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 63 / Views: 3,014Next Topic
Page: of 5
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20246 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2021  3:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Constant repeat story about getting rid of that coin. However, falls on deaf ears. The Mint doesn't hear it and neither does the government. Sort of like standing in the middle of a jungle and complaining about to much auto traffic in the cities.
And in the near future all coins will be stopped due to only plastic cards used.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
4390 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2021  3:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A struck through Visa card with a dose of lamination peel would be cool.
United States
33 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2021  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mastaplanna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let me see if I can get ahold of Janet Yellen and see if she can get this taken care of
Learn More...
United States
100991 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2021  11:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think you're missing my point...
Okay, I think I understand now. You want something like four cents of copper in a five cent coin. Keep in mind that minting costs are not free. The nickel has almost ten cents worth of effort and materials, which is why the dime should be the new bottom coin.

So would you agree with me that we could (should) kill the cent from circulation and continue it as NIFC in the annual sets (proof and uncirculated) using the original bronze composition? No more crappy zinc!

Quote:
The penny should no longer be minted for circulation, but instead, be minted for collectors (in the form of rolls, proof/mint sets, collections, etc.). Much like the Kennedy half-dollar, assorted dollars, and commemorative coins.
Like I said.

Quote:
No keeping the coin is pure financial folly , drop the nickel while you are at it .

Quote:
That could be solved by rounding to the nearest dime, except doing so would hinder use of the current workhorse coin, the quarter, which would become useless except in pairs.
Should have killed the quarter when we had the chance. Ah, they say hindsight is 20/20... in this case it is Twenty Cents.

I still think we would survive the loss of a nickel and rounding to a dime. In the rare instance of needing one, they could round an extra five cents off. Still cheaper than those electronic payment processing fees.
Valued Member
United States
216 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2021  05:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add orange26 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes. I think it rounds up good and like how it's a copper colored coin compared to the others. I think they also make good donations for churches and charities. You could also trade them for bigger coins at the bank.
Learn More...
United States
100991 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2021  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With the exception of "copper colored," you can say the same for nickels and dimes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5947 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2021  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As long as the Zinc lobby has their brief cases full of money dangling in front of Congresscritters the cent ain't going nowhere anytime soon.

The cent and nickel should have gone away a long time ago as far as I'm concerned.
Pillar of the Community
United States
883 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2021  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrPink2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A struck through Visa card with a dose of lamination peel would be cool.

good one!

i voted no...
Learn More...
United States
100991 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2021  12:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The cent and nickel should have gone away a long time ago as far as I'm concerned.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1554 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoubleEagle20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Start rounding to tens.

All we need in circulation is 4 coins going forward.

A dime, a new octagonal or multi sided 50 cent piece, $1 and $2.

Let the present quarters stay in circulation and use them in even increments, until they are retired or simply disappear.
Edited by DoubleEagle20
05/11/2021 7:19 pm
Learn More...
United States
100991 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
537 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  9:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm to cheap too round up as few cents sorry.
Valued Member
Canada
55 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  11:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dant5150 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As a lowly Canucker getting into the game 7 years after the death of our Penny, I would love to get my hands on a Banker's Box of them, but, maybe that was apart of the problem... too much was socked away by everyone. I dunno why we stopped production. We shouldn't have taken them out of circulation even if production did stop.

It was crazy here when we heard that billion dollar businesses were going to be able to stiff us on some change. I dunno how that has all turned out for our government guys and gals paying mortgages on 2 and 3 homes, oh well, so long as the bosses get fat, right?!

I didn't read full through all of the responses here so maybe my words have already been spent and dismissed and if so, disregard my mumblings.

Yet... as to the poll... your senators and pharaohs need to pay for their personal island getaways also, so, in the spirit of giving to those who have the most already, goodbye to zinc-rot.
Learn More...
United States
100991 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm to cheap too round up as few cents sorry.
Most places will round down if they know what is good for business.

Quote:
It was crazy here when we heard that billion dollar businesses were going to be able to stiff us on some change.
Most of the big businesses in Canada round cash totals down.

I have said this a thousand times, rounding can go up or down to the nearest, but it makes more sense to round all cash sales down since a cash sale is not subject to the transaction fees that credit/debit sales are.
Valued Member
Canada
55 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  10:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dant5150 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Most of the big businesses in Canada round cash totals down.

I wonder how this knowledge of things is acquired? Did you ask them or did you merely believe someone who just says it is so?

Truly, I don't really care, we all get the short end of the stick in the end unless your name is Oprah or Zuckerberg.

My point is, I think, lol, someone, not you or I, ain't pocketing the cash they wholeheartedly believe they are entitled to, hence, the RCM recalling all pennies to look over and resell the best pieces for a huge premium, but, that just sounds too conspiracy-ish and unbelievable so, carry on buying 1 cent at the cash register pennies for $100-$1000 +, it is ART after all.

Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 63 / Views: 3,014Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05