Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1879 P Morgan Dollar Grade Opinions

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 453Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
531 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  2:33 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Seller Photos

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2319 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are those die polishing scratches?

Edit: if so, MS63. But I find the polishing lines distracting.
If cleaning scratches then UNC details harshly cleaned.
Edited by Ty2020b
03/12/2021 2:40 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
531 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unsure, I'm hoping they are die polishing lines: "Die Polish Striations also tend to be more Linear and sub-parallel oriented to one another, as compared to Cleaning Hairline Sctratches which tend to have a more Curved orientation and typically occur in a less organized pattern compared to one another."
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56841 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you remove this from the plastic for better pics?
Pillar of the Community
United States
5473 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unlikely to be die polish lines since they cross the portrait. Usually die polish lines are just on the fields. I'd have to call this "unc detail, obverse cleaned".
Edited by Jaobler
03/12/2021 7:57 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
7130 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree it looks cleaned. Unc details.
The slabbed Half dollar No G farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Pillar of the Community
United States
600 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2021  09:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hmm if those scratches are on the holder MS-65 if on the coin I think its details
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10062 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2021  10:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Can you remove this from the plastic for better pics?

OP stated these are seller photo. sounds like OP does not have the coin

this is difficult to grade for two reasons. one is that its in holder and we are unsure if scratches are on coin or on holder. second the lighting and angling of the coin could be obscuring any surface issues

best guess...luster is broken across cheek. coin most likely is MS. the strike is typical for a 79(P). if the scratches are on the coin then UNC Details otherwise MS64 based on what we can see here
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22024 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2021  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tough call as the hairlines could be on either the coin or the holder.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
531 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2021  1:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately they look like scratches? Would be interested in further opinions. They are extremely fine lines and are only visible when you tilt the coin in the correct light. You can't see them much in the first photo but I took a better one so you can see. I took a punt as it looked a good price. Hope these pics help. The reverse is really excellent other than the mark above 'dollar'.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
10062 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2021  2:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
UNC details cleaned
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2319 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 453Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05