Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1867 Shield Nickel W/Rays

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 377Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
658 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2021  10:06 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Coin has a nice warm golden tone (pics may not show).
Looked at PCGS images and noticed a couple of examples displaying similar planchet/die issues towards the bottom of the obverse near the 7...?
I would like to believe AU something...?
Take a peek and let me know what you think?
Thanks!
smat

Softer reverse strike...incomplete/undefined Rays/chatter

Decent shield w/min hits

planchet/die issue near 7
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9515 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2021  11:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome coin for your type set. AU55 maybe?
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10037 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2021  11:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
strike issues are very common with these. especially on the shield. this is not a bad example. leaves are well defined. appears to have a little luster still hanging around. AU55 possibly 58. I like it
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56731 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2021  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say AU-55. Nice example.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22024 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2021  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice type coin. AU-53
Pillar of the Community
United States
1074 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2021  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin, AU-55.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3686 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2021  10:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I once read that the mint had a lot of trouble with the strike on these early nickels. One, the new nickel alloy was harder than the typical gold, silver or copper alloys and two, the rays on the reverse and the size of the shield on the obverse tended to fight each other while these were struck. The rays were subsequently removed for this reason and the striking issues were greatly reduced but not completely eliminated, even with later nickels, until mid-20th century.

Definitely an AU coin, 55 seems good to me.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1973 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2021  10:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the upthread comments. Nice example! Add me to the mid-AU parade, leaning toward AU-55.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2301 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 377Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05
New