Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Guess The Price - Season 3 Champion: Coinaholic

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 372 / Views: 11,313Next Topic
Page: of 25
Learn More...
United States
98119 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2008  10:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A lot of good discussion on this one!
You people do realize that there is more than just eBay out there, right?

I am going to propose this rule, based on pls' statement:

• No finished auctions (eBay, Heritage, etc.) can be the basis for any round. If an auction is used, the round must end at least one hour before the auction does.

• I think with the prevalence of snipers, the price shown one hour before can wildly vary from the final price.

Comments? Suggestions? You guys wanted this to start before Christmas, but time is running out!

Quote:
    Not everyone will remember the exact price of a coin that one bought (unless one writes down the price of every purchase) years ago, especially if a given coin isn't one of the main ones in a person's collections.

Quote:
    So that in these cases someone should never just "make up" a price they thought they MAY have paid 4 and a half years ago or something. That would not be too cool.
    Let me state that the current rules do not prevent you from putting up one of your coins and assigning a price to it! Just do not say it is for sale, please keep that to the B/S/T forums!

As long as you have the final price written down before you post the contest, I do not see a problem with making one up.
    Just do not try to tell us that you paid $2 for a 1916 SLQ or someone bought a 1971 Kennedy half dollar from you for $450!

Comments? Suggestions?

Quote:
    And so, I suppose if it's someones turn to post a coin and they can't.....maybe they could defer or forfeit their round......dunno......maybe another added rule for that is needed.
    I will always be glad to host the winner's round, but that winner will still be ineligible for points during that round.
    Edited by jbuck
    12/23/2008 10:30 am
    Learn More...
    United States
    98119 Posts
     Posted 12/23/2008  10:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
    Hey! We are on page two and the first round has not started yet!

Remember, this is just a game, let's try not to take ourselves too seriously!
    Edited by jbuck
    12/23/2008 10:31 am
    Pillar of the Community
    United States
    6325 Posts
     Posted 12/23/2008  11:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eaglefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
    Remember, this is just a game, let's try not to take ourselves too seriously!

I was just about to consult my lawyers and have some legal documents drawn up !.......

Quote:
    As long as you have the final price written down before you post the contest, I do not see a problem with making one up

Now this just "enlarged" the contest immeasurably.....
    HOLY COW !

I SAY.......LET THE GAMES BEGIN !
    Edited by eaglefoot
    12/23/2008 11:06 am
    Pillar of the Community
    United States
    533 Posts
     Posted 12/23/2008  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MorganNoob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
    Lets get down to brass tacks, if everyone has had enough gum flappin' I say we get this dog and pony show on the road. Enough stressin' lets START GUESSIN'!!
    Pillar of the Community
    Poland
    3201 Posts
     Posted 12/23/2008  11:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DL20K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
    If someone knows that he'll not be able to (due to any reason) host the next round - might transfer this right to another person provided that the other person agrees In unexpected situations, Jbuck's solution -

Quote:
    I will always be glad to host the winner's round

- would be perfect. If there's no new round for let's say 2 days, the Game Master intervenes

Quote:
    As long as you have the final price written down before you post the contest

Yes. Therefore any cheating (though I can't imagine why one would cheat here) is eliminated.

Quote:
    I do not see a problem with making one up

This makes the whole thing much more random
    Pillar of the Community
    United States
    2185 Posts
     Posted 12/23/2008  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add trdhrdr007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
    As long as you have the final price written down before you post the contest, I do not see a problem with making one up.

It seems like I have opened a can of worms. I feel like this contest has 2 purposes; to have fun, & to learn about valuing coins. IMHO pulling a price out of thin air & assigning it to a coin without regard to market values, or posting a coin bought several years ago without mentioning approximately when it was purchased totally defeats the second purpose of the contest.

You could get the same result by having the round sponsor pick a number, write it down & let everyone guess what the number is. I don't have a problem with the occasional curve ball, I just think it needs to be based on reality.
    Pillar of the Community
    Poland
    3201 Posts
     Posted 12/23/2008  12:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DL20K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
    pick a numbe write it down & let everyone guess what the number is.

Hey! My next contest was going to be like this! Now I have to modify it
    Pillar of the Community
    United States
    6325 Posts
     Posted 12/23/2008  1:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eaglefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
    As long as it's NOT MOSTLY ONLINE-AUCTION BASED ......(whether that's Ebay, Heritage, etc, etc. then I'm good)
    Edited by eaglefoot
    12/23/2008 1:19 pm
    Learn More...
    United States
    98119 Posts
     Posted 12/23/2008  2:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
    IMHO pulling a price out of thin air & assigning it to a coin without regard to market values, or posting a coin bought several years ago without mentioning approximately when it was purchased totally defeats the second purpose of the contest.
    Good point, which is why I said "Just do not try to tell us that you paid $2 for a 1916 SLQ or someone bought a 1971 Kennedy half dollar from you for $450!" I do want the prices to be realistic and as close as possible to what was actually paid. We are rounding our guesses to the dollar, so no need to be exact.

I wanted to leave it to the round host whether or not they disclose the details of when the coin was purchased, but you make a good point. I feel that if the purchase was not recent, then at the very least an approximation is given: earlier this year, ten years ago, etc.

I have updated the rules to specify guidelines for the host. Please review and give me the "Go/No-Go" for launch!
    Pillar of the Community
    United States
    2185 Posts
     Posted 12/23/2008  2:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add trdhrdr007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
    I'm good with the rules the way they are now written, & I want to thank everyone for not pelting me with rotten tomatoes when I brought this up.
    Learn More...
    United States
    98119 Posts
     Posted 12/23/2008  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
    I want to thank everyone for not pelting me with rotten tomatoes when I brought this up.

CCF Members are the best!
    Pillar of the Community
    United States
    6325 Posts
     Posted 12/23/2008  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eaglefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
    ........eaglefoot agrees as well and is ready to proceed......and sheepishly takes his bushel basket of ripened tomatoes back to the grocery store....
    Pillar of the Community
    United States
    533 Posts
     Posted 12/23/2008  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MorganNoob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
    I want to thank everyone for not pelting me with rotten tomatoes when I brought this up.

Hey Mods, can we get a rotton tomato emoticon? We have dancing strawberries and dancing apples, how about rotton tomatoes for me to throw at trdhrdr007? Please?

Now lets get this started...
    Bedrock of the Community
    Canada
    10742 Posts
     Posted 12/23/2008  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SHAFTA9a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
    True North
    Pillar of the Community
    Poland
    3201 Posts
     Posted 12/23/2008  4:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DL20K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
    I am satisfied with how the rules are worded. They also cover one thing that I forgot to bring up.
    Therefore, I say - let the games begin!
    Page: of 25 Previous TopicReplies: 372 / Views: 11,313Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
    Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
    It took 1.04 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05