Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

US Small Dollar $1 Coins SBA, Sacagawea, Presidents & American Innovation

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 1,419Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2021  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PPorro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well it's Saturday and I didn't go to the dump. (once a week where I am, we take in our own, to the transfer station) So I opened another batch of fun.

I was pretty much thinking "this is stupid and a waste of time" but if I can find a book/folder for these, why not?

Cleveland, Harrison, Roosevelt, Coolidge, Ike, Kennedy, another Ronnie and a lovely Monroe.

Found: 37 SBA (amazing they are actually nicked and used. By whom?), 68 SAC, 2 Law. A bunch more of the first 20 Presidents including the shiny Tyler that I didn't have yet.

The initial question was, "Can I find the coins that are not released into circulation, in circulation?" I didn't expect to find around 2% so far.

I think the mint and dates on the edge are just as dumb as the original SBA silver, looks like a quarter design. Any use and the date is nearly gone, some they are pounded into oblivion. Not that these are special at all, but still, the details are mashed and obliterated with ordinary use.

Oh and some of these look like the plated versions that are sold as collectors sets. Just shows how much some people cherish those valuable made for marketing varieties. They paid $5.75 each. $20.00 for four on eBay.

Rolls US Mint Regular President issues, $25 seem to be selling for around $35 on eBay.

Interesting: 2020 P&D American Innovation Maryland (2) Uncirculated Gold Dollars Mint Rolls $3.89 free shipping. How do they do that?

Looking forward to finding one of the black Ruthenium versions some day.

Yes, I'm still having fun.
Edited by PPorro
03/20/2021 4:44 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4412 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2021  10:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That 3.89 free shipping is for only 2 coins..1-P, 1-D from mint rolls....I believe
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2021  11:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PPorro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just to update. After going through just under $500 in rolls from the bank, I think I'm missing 11 available coins.

I was happy to find as many of the Presidents that were not released for circulation. Also as I picked through for "best" example, and true I am not collecting by mint, most of the early ones are the gold plated collector coins, that people apparently got bored with and spent.

So as of 3-31-2021 here's the status of the entertaining project, trying to obtain a full set, from circulation.

Yes I did check the feathers detail on every Sacagawea

58 SBA, 109 SAC or NA, Est. 320 Presidents, 9 unreleased, 1 Obama Sticker paste over.
Edited by PPorro
04/01/2021 11:26 am
Learn More...
United States
99412 Posts
Valued Member
United States
216 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2021  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add winterfell to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool. I like the small dollar coins myself.
Valued Member
United States
161 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2021  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@PPorro Agreed, I very much dislike the edge date and lettering. Also, I've come across quite a few NIFC $1 coins in bank rolls, too. I can only guess some collectors/dealers are keeping the best and spending the rest. Finally, if you want to really see these coins circulate, go to Ecuador, which went onto the U.S. dollar standard a couple of decades ago. Fractional coins are Ecuadorian, but the $1 coins heavily circulate. U.S. bills are used for larger transactions. I had a few business trips to Ecuador and was surprised to see so many U.S. small dollars floating around in pocket change.
Edited by halfamind
04/03/2021 6:16 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1002 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  12:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just noticed today that the U.S. Mint has taken the reverse-proof AI dollars off of this year's schedule. The regular proof four-coin set is still listed.
Is this just a temporary glitch or is it possible the mint won't be issuing the reverse proofs this year (or anymore)?
Learn More...
United States
99412 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is this just a temporary glitch or is it possible the mint won't be issuing the reverse proofs this year (or anymore)?
Oh my! That is interesting. I am glad I opted to only buy the regular proof sets. I did not want to budget buying all those reverse proof coins individually. The OGP is nice, but not for their price.
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PPorro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I'm having fun and I see no profit in any of this. I went to the bank and got a bag full, which is $500. The teller rolled them all, to inspect because sometimes they got other coins in there by accident. Just looked for the before and after and check out the lower right corner.

I'll be taking that one back in a little bit. If it was an XF 2 Pence and really that doesn't matter, it has a nice line from the wrapping machine, I'd have a 20c coin that cost me a dollar.

It's been some time, but I had friends who spent the Winter in Belize. Back then they said the US dollar was very popular. I wonder if the Gold Dollars are popular there as well?
Learn More...
United States
99412 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just looked for the before and after and check out the lower right corner. I'll be taking that one back in a little bit. If it was an XF 2 Pence and really that doesn't matter, it has a nice line from the wrapping machine, I'd have a 20c coin that cost me a dollar.
A fun find. I probably would have kept it, but yeah, keeping it means taking it at a loss.
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  10:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PPorro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh wait, this gets better. Took it back and the teller looked. I said, see the scratch from the wrapping machine? She went to someone else. They looked. I said, maybe you could just give me a dollar? She took it to the back officer, she looked... finally someone made the command decision and handed me another SBA and gave me the roll back.

Nice I got to keep the 2 pence.

I started opening rolls last night. Austrian 10 shilling. Here we go again? Today 5 Rand.

But this does make me wonder how many foreign coins go through as dollars, in error. I'm pretty sure the teller when I bought these had pulled out 4 other coins from the bag of $500.

I thought the SBA debacle was absurd. I mean, no one in all the chain or design or approval thought "hey it's nearly the same size and looks like a quarter. People will hate it and be confused." I suppose coin slots for the Gold Dollars had to be a consideration, but now I'm seeing foreign coins getting counted by mistake. I bet the banks hate that.

2 Pence - 7.074 gm
10 Shilling - 6.079
5 Rand - 6.903

SBA, SAC and Presidents - 7.95 to 8.05 a small sample

My electronic caliper just stopped working.

Edited by PPorro
04/09/2021 11:00 am
Learn More...
United States
99412 Posts
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PPorro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$500 searched:
Found, Gerald Ford, Harry S. Truman.

I'm done for now.

After $1,000 I'm only missing 9 Presidents.
Edited by PPorro
04/12/2021 3:56 pm
Learn More...
United States
99412 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  3:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Impressive!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
736 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  6:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Try another 500$.

Laconic? Yes! But it is impressive.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 1,419Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05