Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Elusive Dot Above The R

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 654Next Topic  
Valued Member
Australia
365 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2021  7:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add karloning to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Has anyone ever noodled the 1981 dot above the R in Australia? Never seen one in 15 years and only seen one photo of it.
Edited by karloning
03/17/2021 7:52 pm
Formerly nancyc
Australia
5249 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2021  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What denomination?
life is a mystery to be lived not a problem to be solved
Valued Member
Australia
365 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2021  9:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add karloning to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
twenty cents
Formerly nancyc
Australia
5249 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2021  7:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Never seen or handled one.

However, I do have 2 images, but only of other's coins.
life is a mystery to be lived not a problem to be solved
Valued Member
Australia
365 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2021  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add karloning to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I will keep looking. I think it is the only "variation" that I don't have
Valued Member
Australia
487 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  11:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrcruise to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It definitely exists

Very hard to find - I have only ever found one coin

I'll post a photo of it when I find it
Edited by mrcruise
04/08/2021 11:39 pm
Valued Member
Australia
487 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  12:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrcruise to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Images of 1981 20c Dot Cud Variation (all images are of same coin)

Valued Member
Australia
365 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  04:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add karloning to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well done. I will keep looking. There must be more out there
Valued Member
Australia
487 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  06:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrcruise to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a word of advice for people out there looking for uncommon varieties of Australian circulation coins.....

Persistence is the key to your success

I don't really noodle any more...I'm too busy writing a book on Australian coins, but I do noodle on the odd occasion

But there was a period back in the early 2010's where every week I would go to the bank and get $500 worth of coins (a combination of 5c. 10c, 20c 50c, $1 & $2 coins) - that's the dedication you will need

It was a tedious and gruelling process - a process I performed for a few years, and I managed to find most varieties

It also had it's rewards...eg the coin posted above, a wavy 1966 20c coin, several 2000 50c incused coins......(PS: no 2000 $1 Mules unfortunately)

I itemised every coin I looked and developed stats using excel (which I'm sure I have posted in some previous post on this forum or site)

The point of all this is that with enough persistence you will find most varieties of coins

You will not get much for coin if you sell them on eBay but you will get satisfaction.....in fact an immense satisfaction

To prove this point the coin I have photographed above from memory I only sold it for a few dollars - not a real reflection of how hard it really is to actually find...

For all the that decide to pursue I want to wish you all the best - it's a thankless task

Cheers & all the best
Valued Member
Australia
365 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  05:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add karloning to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree. There is not a lot of dollar value in the variations - except maybe for the dollar mule. (I have found 3 of these) But there is immense joy in finding the "odd one out" I noodle 500 or 600 at a time, and have had varied results. The best was getting 65 Alphabet coins in one batch and at the other end of the scale is finding maybe 10 "keepers" out of the 500 dollars. I quite often embarrass my wife by peering into the "tips" jar in a restaurant after the meal. Can't help it.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1742 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't really noodle any more...I'm too busy writing a book on Australian coins, but I do noodle on the odd occasion

What is the book on specifically? How far away is it?
Valued Member
Australia
487 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2021  06:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrcruise to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In response to Mr T

It's a book on Australian Decimal Silver Coins, more of a catalog actually with pics of every coin, pricing & pricing trends & various other comments and information - you would be surprised how many Australian legal tender decimal silver coins are not in Renniks or McDonalds catalogs

1st draft about a month or 2 away, then the tedious task of editing and finalising/obtaining permission to use photos.
I'm hoping it will be ready later this year
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1742 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2021  03:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking forward to it - please post here when it's ready.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 654Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05