Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Collecting Colonial Coinage

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 392Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1082 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2021  5:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I probably posted this under the wrong category, so if I did apologies ahead of time. I recently began collecting the Irish pre-decimal coinage from 1928-1969 and thought about the Hibernia coinage and "gun money" dating into the 1700's. Specifically, coins that would have circulated in the early years of the United States prior to 1792. Technically these are not colonials, but wouldn't they be under the same umbrella even though struck outside of the colonies? Thoughts, comments?
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There's no problem only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Edited by Ballyhoo
03/19/2021 5:10 pm
Valued Member
United States
434 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2021  6:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You could argue that if it was used in the colonies it counts as a "colonial" but that becomes a difficult definition to really add limits to

Most colonial collectors, to my understanding, focus on colonial issues or pieces that were made specifically for or in the colonies. Often they bore reference to the colonies directly. Though still a broad area for different types, this at least places a reasonable range on the pieces that fall within the umbrella.

However, arguably it is not incorrect to include other world coinage as colonials (just not colonial issues), they did circulate, they just weren't made specifically for them. The colonies were a melting pot of currencies, with Spanish, British, Dutch, German, French, and other countries having their currencies circulate the colonies frequently.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7915 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2021  04:34 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ballyhoo,

You might want to look at this thread on a book I gave a quick review of (before reading it thoroughly).
http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...IC_ID=382003

I am now almost finished reading it, and can say it was well thought out and researched, if the deal is still on, it's not bad for the money. I don't know that I'd want to pay $149.00 for it though, at under a $100 it's a fair deal. Much of the book was laid out right off a computer page, so some of the formatting is not the best aesthetically. I would have preferred more work on the design and style for a $150 book. The information however is great, and the photo printing quality is excellent.

The book deals exactly with your dilemma, and to answer it yes they are included in the book, just not in great detail. Here is an excerpt from pg. 212

He covers the gunmoney coinage of Ireland only a small amount, but does have some nice photographs of them (Full page sized for each obverse and reverse) on most coins. Many are from his own collection (sold by Heritage) and professionally shot by them for the book. The photography is one of the best things about the book, besides the raw data and facts he gives. The story telling leaves a bit to be desired I must say, it reads more like a textbook than a coin book by say, Q. David Bowers. That may be his doctor side coming out.

Also another book was just released in a improved 2nd edition this past year; "Gunmoney: The Emergency coinage of 1689-91 for the Irish Campaign of James II" by Phil Timmins. That one might interest you even more, as it seems to be all about your collecting interest.

E-Sylum Review and preview...
https://www.coinbooks.org/v23/esylu...3n16a03.html
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...IC_ID=140440
Edited by westcoin
03/20/2021 05:04 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
648 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2021  05:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hibernia's have long been collected as "colonial" coins. There are many other issues as well, Voce Populi coinage, St. Patrick coinage, some of the French coinage also collected. If restricted to only those minted in the colonies or minted exclusively for the colonies it would be a small list! Hibernias in particular seemed to circulate heavily in the colonies, as evidenced by metal detector finds. If interested, there is a fantastic book on the Wood Hibernia coins by Syd Martin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1082 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2021  4:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Westcoin. I'll definitely look into that book for the library. To be a little more specific on my questioning, let's say a Spanish Reale. While minted elsewhere these were much more acceptable in commerce at the time than the British Pound in some cases. Granted it would be impossible to distinguish which circulated within the colonies, yet with such high numbers the odds increase at the chance. What can I say? I'm a history nut.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There's no problem only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Pillar of the Community
United States
7915 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2021  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also there are a couple of great video presentations here you may enjoy also:

https://colonialcoins.org/c4media/

I particularly liked John Kraljevich's talks on immigrants and Jeff Rock's talk on British & Irish money. However they were all really good as well as informative. I've re-watched the Kraljevich video a couple of times, as he presented so much information.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...IC_ID=140440
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 392Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05