Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Lincoln Memorial, Most Likely PMD. Can Someone Explain Some Good.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 238Next Topic  
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2021  02:28 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NoneyaBizznez to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Can someone explain some good indicators on whether or not something is PMD or not? My thoughts are the pillars on the reverse seem too "intact"? The nose is pushed down perfectly, you can only see the outline

Edited by NoneyaBizznez
03/27/2021 10:04 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11545 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2021  02:44 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reverse has some damage, including the lower sections of a couple pillars. That indicates that what you see on the obverse is PMD. If it was a strike-through, the reverse should look normal. Can you post full-coin pics of both sides?
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
736 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2021  03:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please post full photos O & R of the coin. I like the elephant president nose.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1331 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2021  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like the cant got a huge hit on the Obverse causing the big divot you see. The metal was pushed through to the reverse where more damage has happened. Was somebody trying to create a counterstamp?
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower set coin count: 36/36
Valued Member
United States
138 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2021  4:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lincoln's nose is awesome.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5682 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2021  6:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Can someone explain some good indicators on whether or not something is PMD or not?

First, you need good, sharp photos of what your coin should look like in it's Mint state, then compare your coin against it. If you also study how coins are made in the minting process, you'll be able to recognize (with lots of practice) true mint errors from those post mint. Once you get the hang of things, it really isn't difficult. If in doubt, ask here!

ša va bien aller

Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 238Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05