Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Clodius Albinus Ric 42 Mint Lugdunum

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 323Next Topic  
Valued Member

France
176 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2021  10:40 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add pastpost to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Dear friends,
I want to share my latest purchase
Denarius RIC IV Clodius Albinus 42 Mint: Lugdunum
IMP CAES D CLO ALBIN AVG
Bust of Clodius Albinus, laureate, draped, right | Head of Clodius Albinus, laureate, right
SPES AVG COS II
Spes, draped, advancing left, holding up flower in right hand and raising skirt with left hand

The condition of the coin is not collectible.
It has more of historical value.
But the coin is very rare even in this state.
On the OCRE website, besides BM, there is half a coin published on Portable Antiquities Scheme.

http://numismatics.org/ocre/id/ric.4.ca.42?lang=en

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
676 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2021  11:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats to a nice, and rare, coin! We have the usurper Clodius Albinus to thank for the only 2nd century coins minted in Gaul, during the brief revival of the Lugdunum mint 195-97.

And not collectible? We see Roman coins in much much worse condition here at CCF ...
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3462 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2021  11:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And not collectible? We see Roman coins in much much worse condition here at CCF ...

Especially for emperors as rare as Clodius Albinus, it's far better to have a coin like that than no coin at all.
Valued Member
United States
232 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2021  11:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ruger9a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd love to have that coin n my collection!!!!
Valued Member
France
176 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2021  1:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pastpost to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to everyone who took part in the discussion.
@ january1may - I like your motto- it's far better to have a coin like that than no coin at all.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1801 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2021  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A nice coin. The coins of Albinus as Augustus are much scarcer than those as Caesar uner Septimius Severus.

I did own a RIC 42 myself.

I must admit that my favourite of the coins of this emperor as Augustus have the Genius of Lugdunum on the rear

Obv:- IMP CAES D CLO SEP ALBIN AVG, Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right
Rev:- GEN LVG COS II, Genius of Lugdunum, standing facing, towered head left, vertical scepter in right hand, cornucopiae in left, eagle at feet to left and looking upward right
Minted in Lugdunum. November A.D. 195 to 19th February A.D. 196
Reference:- RIC 23d (R2)

Valued Member
France
176 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2021  02:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pastpost to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@maridvnvm -Thanks for sharing. Your coins are really great!
Valued Member
France
176 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pastpost to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My latest acquisition of the Rare Clodius Albinus denarius Lugdunum mint. 195-197
(18mm, 3.20 gm.)
IMP CAES D CLO ALBIN AVG, laureate head right /
MIN PAC COS II, Minerva standing left, holding branch and spear, arm resting on shield. RIC 30,RSC 51.

Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 323Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05