Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Would Like Feedback On Authenticity And Grade 72p DDO

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 404Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
339 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2021  12:57 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CentSation to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Picked up this coin at a local coin show several years ago and just tucked it away. It was in the back of a dealers coin book that he had purchased recently and I don't think he was familiar very familiar with it. Seems to be a reputable dealer out of Oregon, seen at several other shows.

I am not good at grading so for those more comfortable with it, I am deferring to your judgement. Not presently going to sell it, just want an idea of its condition.

The pics are not the greatest, sorry, a few from a USB CAM and some from a cell phone CAM.

Not sure if it shows, but it seems to be more reddish-brown.

Thanks for your input.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51799 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2021  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PCGS has a MS-63 as the lowest grade on the site.
https://www.PCGS.com/cert/38999548
$310 But not sure of the exact grade for your coin. But in the range to still to have slabbed. With your image, I hadn't noticed the right hand side of the base, being doubled before. But it is like that on all DDO-001s. The light angle brought it to my attention.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58337 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2021  1:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Better pics showing the true color of the coin would help.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1781 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2021  1:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks like the one posted on Wexler's
http://doubleddie.com/384301.html
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower dollar Album coin count: 36/36
My Dansco 8166,8167 Kennedy half dollar Album coin count: 198/198
My Dansco 8140,8143-8147 Washington quarters Albums coin count: 423/423
Pillar of the Community
United States
4390 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2021  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice pick up. I'm thinking MS62, and possibly climbing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5947 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2021  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
High end 63 to low end 64. Nice pick up!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51799 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2021  4:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The color doesn't look natural to me. If the coin was cleaned, that might turn the grade to just a "genuine coin" holder. (and they will charge you full price for the grading)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Valued Member
United States
339 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2021  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CentSation to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the replies.

The coloring does look odd and I believe much of that is due to my 'utilitarian' view of picture taking: I figure as long as I can get it in focus and centered, I am doing well.

Had a bit of sunshine earlier and was able to get some natural light and, using my cellphone, snapped a couple more pics to show the color better.

As a precaution it is currently 'soaking' in some Verdi-Care as the sleeve that it came in might have contained PVC.

EDIT: The reverse initials got my attention too and that is why I questioned whether it might not be genuine [since that wasn't used as a marker and not mentioned].

Edited by CentSation
03/27/2021 8:39 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2253 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2021  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is there moisture in that 2X2?
Valued Member
United States
339 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2021  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CentSation to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Is there moisture in that 2X2?"

Yes, that is Verdi-Care.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51799 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2021  10:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Make sure the coin is dry and free of liquids. That can damage a coin if left like that for a long time. Don't wipe the coin. Press down with a facial tissue of material like a t-shirt to remove the solvent and the debris on the surface.
Richard S. Cooper

Pillar of the Community
United States
722 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2021  07:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What a great coin and nice color...but like coop said...take care of that moisture and reholder him.
Thanks for sharing!
smat
Pillar of the Community
United States
4390 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2021  07:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, would suggest not enclosing a coin--with VerdiCare or other liquid agent present--in a cardboard and mylar 2x2. Interaction with the cardboard and mylar could result in unintended consequences.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5947 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2021  11:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do not kill your coin .... ASAP .....get it out of that holder, get the solvents carefully removed and make sure it is DRY, Get it properly packaged up and off for gRading and encapsulation!

Looks much better under natural lighting!
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 404Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05