Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

First 2014 D Great Smoky Mountain Quarter DDO?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 288Next Topic  
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2021  4:46 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NotoriousABE to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was going through quarters I had and I was looking up each one to determine if there were any known errors (they were not in the greatest conditions).

I thought it was just a reflection or just MD, but there is possibly separation lines?

Let me down easy if I'm just being optimistic!

Bedrock of the Community
United States
38984 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2021  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks MD to me.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
3974 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2021  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First glance indicates Machine Doubling to me. Good example to hang onto for comparison purposes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2449 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2021  5:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add levelsofmadnes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks like Die Deterioration Doubling.... die wear
Valued Member
United States
309 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2021  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scuba1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi ABE. When I first saw this I got excited, especially the look of the S in TRUST, but the more I looked at it I too think it is a very (yet 'momentarily' disappointing) good example of MD or possibly DDD. With that said, DON'T get discouraged and REMAIN Optimistic my friend!! Look at it this way.... For all of the many varieties that do exist that we look for, someone had to discover the very first example or we wouldn't be looking for them today. That's the way I look at it and you can't get disheartened (easier said than done...I know). Keep up the good attitude and keep on looking!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50823 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2021  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As already mention, it is Machine Doubling. But do you know what the doubled dies look like on the single squeeze dies? Well it is not seen on the outside edges of the devices. It is in the centers of the devices, altering the look of these devices:

Note the distorted look that the doubled die have. They are not normal looking devices. So train your eyes to see not the edges of devices, but the centers of the devices. Also on the post 2000 coins, the locations for doubled dies are different than the previous doubled dies. You need to look in the target area for these doubled die. Where is the target area:

Center of the design areas. Obverses. earlobes and the motto. You spotted the motto area, but didn't remember what to look for on the shape of the motto hub doubling looks like. Now you know.

CoopHome :Where is the target area on the single squeeze dies hub doubling located?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
03/28/2021 6:00 pm
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2021  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NotoriousABE to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I appreciate the responses! I apologize for not being more in depth when searching! I understand that you all see things WAY more often than my novice self and I am thankful for how cooperative and open all of you are!

I definitely am not discouraged, yet more motivated to be more resilient and thorough!

I honesty do believe in investing in something that makes you happy, so I hope I can bring something that is worth seeing!

ABE prevails!
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 288Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05