Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Arabic/Indian Coin - Silver ? (Id: 1899 Ad India, Princely State Of Hyderabad Rupee)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 381Next Topic  

France
7 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2021  10:09 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Pression to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Good afternoon.

Can anyone please identify this coin. The script appears to be Arabic but someone once suggested it may have come from India.

As far as I am concerned it appeared in the turf when I was marking my crease when playing cricket about 65 years ago.

Of course knowing the value is of no interest whatsoever. - In a pig's eye it ain't !

Thank you.

Learn More...
United States
99300 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4865 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2021  11:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know much about them, but I believe it's a Mughal rupee. If that's the case, it should be roughly 20-26 mm in diameter and 11 g (about the same as a US half dollar or a bit heavier than a 2 euro coin).

What's throwing me off is how many numbers are on the coin. In the first picture, I see 92 at the top and 13 at the bottom. In the second, I see 33 at the top and 051 at the bottom- possibly part of the date AH 1051. I'm not finding any matches for that date, though.

Edited by Numisma
03/30/2021 11:47 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1038 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2021  12:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add andyg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
India, Princely state of Hyderabad, KM#17, AH1317 (1899)
Fun fact - it was 57 years old when you found it 65 years ago!

33 is the regnal year for Mir Mahbub Ali Khan II
92 is the numerical representation of the word 'Muhammad' and can be found on most coins from Hyderabad of this time.
Edited by andyg
03/30/2021 12:49 pm
France
7 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2021  05:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pression to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the kind welcome to your forum and for the incredibly quick replies.

So my thoughts on Arabic and India were on track.

Indeed it is a fun fact for me to have a date for it.

As you will see from my photographs the coin is slightly ovoid and varies from 23mm to 24.6mm. The thickness overall is 3mm. I have not yet obtained a precise weight as I do not have immediate access to a suitable balance, but I think that 11 grams would be about right.

The edges of the coin look very roughly cut, as if someone had pared off a little silver at some time in the 57 years before I found it. I believe this practice is not uncommon although the silver thus gleaned could not have been worth much.

There is a fairly precise square hole in one face - is this significant or just historical vandalism ?

I was jesting on the matter of value as I did not expect it to be worth a great deal even in simple silver terms I doubt if it would be worth more than about 7 euros, say $8. However I would seriously like to be sure that it really is worth very little.

It is however worth a lot to me simply due to its personal provenance and I had in mind to have it put into a suitable setting and made into a pendant for my wife. Although in doing so I would not wish the coin to be damaged by, for example, drilling holes in it, I would probably want to remove the tarnish. And I know that this absolutely verboten amongst the cognoscenti in numismatic circles. So any observations on the value would be of, er.great value.

Thank you again.

Tony.

France
7 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  06:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pression to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good morning.

Is it possible that I have been discourteous or transgressed the rules or ethics of this forum by asking about the possible value of my coin ? If so I apologise. I only ask because I received such helpful replies to my original enquiry so very quickly, but then heard nothing after asking about values. If perhaps discussion of values is considered inappropriate perhaps someone might point me in the right direction please ?
Learn More...
United States
99300 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  09:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is it possible that I have been discourteous or transgressed the rules or ethics of this forum by asking about the possible value of my coin ?
Not at all! It is okay to ask about value as long as you are not offering it for sale at this time (we have specific Buy/Sell/Trade Rules here).

Hopefully someone will be able to give you an idea on its value.
France
7 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pression to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much for those reassuring words. I am so glad to hear that I have not upset folk who have been so kind to me.

Of course everyone who has something of unknown value will wonder if he has discovered a Rembrant, but in this case I believe that the coin is of little value and it is that negative of which I need to be reassured lest I behave like a vandal.

Thank you again.
Valued Member
United States
398 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  10:56 am  Show Profile   Check Seeker55's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Seeker55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The punchmark on the surface is called a test mark or shroff mark. This is where a shopkeeper used a punch to penetrate the surface and make sure it was pure silver and not just plated. These are very common and actually contribute evidence of authenticity.
France
7 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pression to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Mr Seeker.

Thank you for that fascinating insight. I have wondered about that 60-odd years.

Best regards

Tony
France
7 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  03:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pression to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"....I have wondered about that FOR 60-odd years...."
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2414 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  04:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bacchus2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Value is in the 10 to 15 range.
France
7 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  04:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pression to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good morning Mr Bacchus.

Thank you for the information on value. Now I can turn the coin into a pendant with a clear conscience - that I am not devaluing something rare and priceless.

Once again my thanks to all who have so kindly given me information.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 381Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05