Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What US Coin Do You Think Is The Ugliest?

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 35 / Views: 1,458Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
106 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  10:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TimNH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
216 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  12:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ugliest or just unappealing ? All coins are a representation of a historical era and I like them all but I'd have to say that most modern coinage doesn't do much for me. The modern Jefferson nickels look goofy to me. the old silver Three Cent pieces are sort of boring but I like the historical significance. And I'm sure many would say the flowing hair half disme but I like the crude look of our first coinage. Only wish I could afford one!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3380 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  07:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Uncle Fester had a coin?
Learn More...
United States
99017 Posts
Valued Member
United States
342 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  12:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to disagree with many of these, although I kinda like the 3 cent piece. I'll throw in another...the Jefferson nickel. Head on front, dude's house on the back. Not impressed.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3380 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  12:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some have Bison and Bison's are cool, but Yes Jefferson looking at me is just scary.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1965 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dunno. A couple of the classic rarities deserve mention.

The chain cent's obverse is plain scary. Liberty looks like a double-chinned Medusa. the reverse is OK, but it reminds me of every paper clip fidget toy I made when I was an office cubicle-dweller. And yes, I'd love a handful of these uglies.

The right-facing Draped Bust half eagles with the small eagle are almost painful. Liberty looks like she is wearing a bedpan, and the skinny plucked chicken on the reverse isn't exactly awe-inspiring. That said, I'd love to own a fistful of them, too.
Valued Member
United States
78 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinstrike to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd have to say that it is without doubt the 1993 Jefferson commemorative dollar. It looks little like the Jefferson portraits, and when I saw it, at first glance I honestly thought it was commemorating Babe Didrikson Zaharius.

Learn More...
United States
99017 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  10:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I honestly thought it was commemorating Babe Didrikson Zaharius.
Valued Member
United States
78 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinstrike to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know it probably sounds like I was trying to be a smart alec, but I really wasn't. I think the coin could have been much more like Jefferson. Here's a picture of Babe Zaharius, just so you can see it like I did.

Learn More...
United States
99017 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20199 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All of those baby sized dollar coins.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
975 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jon Brand to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nickels! All nickels. IMHO nickel is an ugly corrosive metal. Buffalo nickels are ok but I don't collect any nickels. I think franklins are fine in general, but I find his profile hideous.
View Collection: jbknifeandcoin.com
Pillar of the Community
United States
535 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Check Billie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Billie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any One of the Presidential dollars...the whole series
Valued Member
United States
411 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
All of those baby sized dollar coins.

Quote:
Any One of the Presidential dollars...the whole series

Gotta agree with both of these. The modern dollars often feel uninspired or just poorly inspired.

The Presidential dollars are just plain ugly to me, the 3/4 profile just isn't a good look, the ones that opted for a side profile are alright to me but don't make up for the rest of them
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 35 / Views: 1,458Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05