Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Finding Sac Dollars In The Wild, What's The Easiest Way?

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 1,002Next Topic
Page: of 2
Canada
21 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2021  01:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JadeDragon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is weird to me is we NEVER see US dollar coins circulating in Canada even though they are the same size as Loonies. We think nothing of using US quarters, dimes and nickels as if they were Canadian coin. I actually pull a fair amount of US coin to use in the US while coin roll hunting in Canada for silver. At least you get a little profit while getting skunked on silver.
Learn More...
United States
100630 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2021  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What is weird to me is we NEVER see US dollar coins circulating in Canada even though they are the same size as Loonies
You never see them up there because they rarely circulate down here.

You guys were smart, got rid of of your one and two dollar notes so the coins would circulate. We let them compete and the more familiar bills won out.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7216 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2021  11:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh goody! I get to contradict jbuck on dollar coins again

Thank God we don't have tons of change in our pockets and sitting around at home/in the car b/c we chose to keep paper instead!

Being close to the border a good deal of my life, we always saw Canadian change and spent it like normal. In fact I was able to even complete most sets from 1937 and up just from circulation, but not halves and dollars which we never saw.

On multiple trips to/across Canada (early 70s and 80s) I remember my grandfather and I used to stop at banks trying to get half dollars and dollar coins. It was more than a couple of times I had to pull one of each out of my pocket to show the tellers that Canada did, indeed, make them!

So until the government up there forced the usage of the Loonies by eliminating the bills, the dollar coin also was not preferred/used just like here in the Sates.

It is funny how our two countries have had differing ideas on money. Canadians always embraced the $2.00 bill and Americans did not. Most Americans have no idea we still can get them at the bank.

Canadian 1,000.00 bills were much easier for those who wanted one to get. We quit making them here in 1934 and up there I remember seeing the 1967 issue sometimes when my grandfather was exchanging cash up at Canadian banks.

I remember my other grandfather (born 1910) saying he had tried for quite a few years to get a US $1000.00 bill, and no banks ever had them that he was around. I think you had to be in big cities down here to find one?
The slabbed Half dollar No FG farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Learn More...
United States
100630 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4139 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Once I got a US $1 coin in change. That was a few years ago before I stopped using coins. It surprised me as it had never happened before or since.
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DanFielding to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A couple times I've bought stamps from the stamp vending machines in the post office lobby. They return change in dollar coins. Never looked to see what kind or vintage they were though
Learn More...
United States
100630 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  10:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, the post office was my go to for the baby dollars. It was a shame my local PO replaced their machines with cashless ones just before the presidential series started.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 1,002Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05