Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1974 Lincoln Penny DDO And Cud On Reverse? Possible Worth Or Junk?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 310Next Topic  
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2021  10:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NotoriousABE to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was coin rolling and found a novelty coin!

Although it has been counter stamped, is there worth still as a DDO? On the reverse there is a large mash on the reverse, but I assume that's from the Florida stamp?

Lay it on me!

Pillar of the Community
United States
4866 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2021  10:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a DDO, but a nice example of Machine Doubling. Note the shelf-like "doubling" that doesn't actually widen the devices. As for the reverse, just damage from the counterstamp. Still a keeper in my book, though, just as a novelty.

Edited by Numisma
03/31/2021 10:53 pm
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2021  11:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NotoriousABE to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks @Numisma !

"Shelving" is a great explanation to distinguish MD and D/D!

BUT using this terminology, this would be considered to be MD also? Its a 1995P

I apologize for the misinformation, definitely still am trying to train my eyes!

I appreciate it!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50750 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2021  12:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As mentioned it is Machine Doubling, it shows on both sides of the coin. The area on the right side of the memorial is damaged because of the counter stamp, damaging that area on the reverse. On the left side of the memorial, die polishing removed most on the false column. But the counter stamp would be a unique show and tell to show to a new collector. So keep these oddities in mind when deciding whether to save or spend for new collectors. I use a lot of images. (Almost 12k) A still adding more daily.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2021  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NotoriousABE to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I appreciate it @coop! The one with Florida (to which this topic was focused on), from what you and @numisma told, is MD!

The other pictures I sent in my most recent reply are from another penny, a 1995P! Is this another example of MD?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50750 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2021  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll check it out and post the results.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
5677 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2021  11:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This FLA counter-stamp coin probably has more value to counter-stamp collectors than Doubled Die collectors (if it was one, which it is not). Counter-stamps are fun, but destroy regular numismatic value.

ša va bien aller

United States
36 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  08:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NotoriousABE to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey @coop !! Any update on the 1995P on if its MD or DD?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3933 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Suggest not mixing two (or more) coins in one topic thread--makes it somewhat difficult to track the issue(s) and responses. Thanks.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 310Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05