Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2016 Quarter With Odd Coin Properties. Can You Help Please?

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 753Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
4836 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2021  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
it is lousy workmanship and terrible quality by the RCM,

Lousy only in the sense that they're plated rather than pure metal.

Quote:
resulting in the appearance of PMD.

This is PMD, not a mint error or sloppy plating.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8358 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2021  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's not a plating issue, it's damage.
I think Numisma explained it quite well.
This is not subjective like grading, opinions don't count.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Canada
736 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2021  12:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@DBM if you has the link of numisma article for this kind I will like to read. Theirs site is so ambiguate and hard to find something except some descriptions of coins. Maybe to big database.

Now I will explain why it is PRE Striking default, not error coin or PMD.

I open a new roll of 25 cents from mint to verify the reedling. It is convex. The explanation of coin is that the reedling is soft on touch and almost flat.
I know the milling to day is double operation of milling and reedling. If the reedling rolls was at the end of life and the operator sleep, was change late.

Second: the reedling has Ni on the highest part and no abrasive traces. eliminate the polishing after strike. photo attached:

Third: The O and R of the coin show missing Ni on the low part of coin not only on the highest past=not happened before strike.

Fourth: To take out the Ni you need acid which will attack also the Cu. Here the scientific explanation: 

Quote:
Nickel metal dissolves slowly in dilute sulphuric acid to form solutions containing the aquated Ni(II) ion together with hydrogen gas.

Copper metal dissolves in hot concentrated sulphuric acid to form solutions containing the aquated Cu(II) ion together with hydrogen gas, H2. ... Copper metal also dissolves in dilute or concentrated nitric acid, HNO3.

I look at the default coins for the symptomatic prospectus of metallurgical and chemistry point of view.
Grading, value, rarity and collecting desire you guys are the experts not me.

If I am wrong with pleasure I will accept the reality. For me is interesting coin from the cheap production and quality control. But accept that is cos 3 or 4 cents to produce and put in the circulation.

Edited by silviosi
04/02/2021 12:31 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4836 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2021  12:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the reedling has Ni on the highest part and no abrasive traces. eliminate the polishing after strike.

I think that's where the copper layer is worn fully through and the inner layer of nickel (or steel- I don't remember whether it's steel-nickel-copper-nickel or just steel-copper-nickel) is showing.

Quote:
The O and R of the coin show missing Ni on the low part of coin not only on the highest past

I don't think it was abraded by a flat surface, but I'm only seeing the copper on local high points.

Quote:
To take out the Ni you need acid which will attack also the Cu.

I see no evidence of chemical corrosion, but the fine, parallel scratches indicate abrasion. I bet you could get nearly identical results with 220 grit sandpaper and a few minutes.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
736 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2021  03:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Numisma. I like your point of view.

The coin is core steel-Ni-Cu-Ni. So if abrasive act after strike? why on the reedling parts you has in lower part those line? And how someone will be able to take out the Ni perfect circle near the rim? And how on O and R you has those missing Ni with irregular border. Even if you use 600 grit you will be not able to do those irregular border marks, abrasion leave almost strait marks.. My point of view.
Canada
24 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2021  11:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rubenstein to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a nickel that looks the same as this Quarter.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3557 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2021  11:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, the outer nickel plating is wearing off.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
882 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2021  11:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a quarter kind of like this, I assumed it was PMD so I never bothered to post it, but for those who might not know what multi-plated quarters looks like without the nickel layer, here is a good example. This was most likely done out of boredom and curiosity, I'm fairly convinced it never left the mint this way.

Aggressively searching Canadian Small Cents on a daily basis since 2018.

Some of my Discoveries.
1941 George VI 1 Cent DDO http://goccf.com/t/367977
1976 Queen Elizabeth II 1 Cent DDO http://goccf.com/t/373627
1970 Queen Elizabeth II 1 Cent DDR http://goccf.com/t/364301
1989 Belize 25 Cent's with a Doubled Die Reverse http://goccf.com/t/362747
Pillar of the Community
Canada
736 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  08:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@John seem to be an acid clean coat of nickel. Probably with sulfuric acid. The cooper must show some very small round holes.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
882 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  10:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
silviosi, I assume it was dipped in some sort of chemical, I only kept it because I got it back in change and I was always curious to see in hand what a multi-ply coin looked like without the nickel layer.
Aggressively searching Canadian Small Cents on a daily basis since 2018.

Some of my Discoveries.
1941 George VI 1 Cent DDO http://goccf.com/t/367977
1976 Queen Elizabeth II 1 Cent DDO http://goccf.com/t/373627
1970 Queen Elizabeth II 1 Cent DDR http://goccf.com/t/364301
1989 Belize 25 Cent's with a Doubled Die Reverse http://goccf.com/t/362747
Pillar of the Community
Canada
736 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ John. The multy ply is this:

1. First Nickel 10 microns
2. Second Cooper 15 microns
3. Third Nickel 5 microns.

You are right to keep for knowledge, I have to take out one 10 cent with the partial last ply plated for example purpose and to post. This I have direct from mint when I visit from scrap been plating. No extra value but education tool.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 753Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05