Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Starting A Proof Barber Dime Set

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 1,051Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7082 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2021  06:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF and best of wishes in your search.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1085 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2021  11:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A proof set of these is very doable for an above average budget without breaking the bank so to speak. As mentioned, popularity is the biggest reason they aren't higher comparative to others. What I find baffling, popularity aside, a proof with low mintage more often than not will sell for far less than the higher mintage business strike of the same year. Which makes little sense even when considering those who collect the series and overlook them. But personally, a proof set would be a very wise move, not to mention beautiful once assembled. In today's market there's little down side.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There's no problem only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Edited by Ballyhoo
04/04/2021 11:06 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1765 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2021  12:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have yet to pick up any Barber dime proofs, but an interesting tidbit is that there are two reverse types for 1901, Type 2 "thin ribbon" and Type 3 "thick ribbon". The Type 2 is slightly less common, about 40% of the 1901 mintage. This is not documented anywhere. Ultimately I'd like to get one of each.

Type 2

Type 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
1136 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2021  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The idea that some in this thread have, that proof Barber dimes are always cheaper than Mint State Barber dimes, is actually not true. Especially not for common dates like the 1892 or 1899. However, in a few cases when talking about key dates such as the 1895, the proof is cheaper than the mint state coin.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
198 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2021  4:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
For my Type Sets, I often find using proof coins are actually less expensive than business strikes for the same grade/Registry points, yet have much nicer eye appeal, where the proof coin shows the coin much closer to what the designer envisioned.

Quote:
The idea that some in this thread have, that proof Barber dimes are always cheaper than Mint State Barber dimes, is actually not true. Especially not for common dates like the 1892 or 1899. However, in a few cases when talking about key dates such as the 1895, the proof is cheaper than the mint state coin.

First, I said that I often find Proof coins are less expensive, NOT that they are always cheaper than mint state coins.

Second, let's use YOUR exact dates stated as an example:

1892 - As indicated in my reply above, in MY Type sets (I use high grade coins). An 1892 MS67 has a PCGS Price guide Value of $3,500. An 1892 PR67 has the value at $2,250, which is much less expensive, and is exactly the point I made!

1899 - An 1899 MS67 has a PCGS Price Guide Value of $4,750, while an 1899 PR67 has the value at $2,250, LESS than half the price of the MS coin!

Yes, in the lower grades the proof coins will cost more than MS coins. But in grades PR62-PR64 you can still find coins priced at $400 - $650 that will potentially have much nicer eye appeal of watery lustrous mirrors and stronger strikes compared to the same MS grades.
A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!

My collecting "Pride & Joy" is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/ty...edset/213996
Edited by Winesteven
04/04/2021 5:01 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1136 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2021  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yes, in the lower grades the proof coins will cost more than MS coins. But in grades PR62-PR64 you can still find coins priced at $400 - $650 that will potentially have much nicer eye appeal of watery lustrous mirrors and stronger strikes compared to the same MS grades.

If we look at mid-grades, i.e. MS65 and PR65, the Mint State 1892 is $400 while the Proof is $900. If we look at MS63 and PR63, the Mint State 1892 is $175 while the Proof is $500.
I guess we are both right. It just depends on the grade you are looking at.
Edited by NumisEd
04/04/2021 9:43 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
198 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2021  10:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  12:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bryton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
that is an interesting tidbit kbbpll. I had no idea about the two types, and you're right, I would like to have both ultimately.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1765 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Careful @Bryton, don't get sucked into the hidden world of Barber dime transition varieties like I did! Including the proofs above, there are 21 (so far) type variations 1899-1905, 11 of them less common and a couple of them relatively scarce. Here's a thread on it I posted a few months ago. http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...IC_ID=389224

Consider joining the Barber Coin Collectors Society. $15/year and 4 quarterly journals. There was a center spread on proof dimes in the last issue, Winter 2020. There are some links to David Lawrence's books and other resources on their website.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1136 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Having just completed a proof nickel subset of my larger Type Set, I have found that classic Nickels can also be relatively affordable in proof condition compared to their mint state brethren. Not to mention not having to sift through endless amounts of weakly struck Shield nickels.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
198 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have found that classic Nickels can also be relatively affordable in proof condition compared to their mint state brethren.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1136 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
198 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  9:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hope my comments are not violating any forum rules.
1. As you know, this is an auction with two days to go, so this current price will not hold.
2. If I'm paying the kind of money this might end up at (mid three figures), personally I'd ONLY be comfortable if it were in either an NGC or PCGS holder (yes, I know "they say", buy the coin, not the holder). When it comes time to sell, by you or your heirs, I believe chances are higher of receiving fair value if it's in a holder of one of those two highly regarded TPG's.
3. I'm put off by the "circles" on the right obverse field. Additionally, will those get worse (grow) over time?
4. I'm NOT an expert grader, especially from photos, but my guess is neither NGC nor PCGS would grade this as Proof 65. Just my opinion.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1136 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it is not a PF65 either. Too much "stuff" going on. Maybe a PF63.
I am not gonna bid on it, just was curious about peoples' opinion.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 1,051Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05