Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Polish 3 Groschen 1594 Sigismund 3, Exact Id?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 331Next Topic  
Romania
14 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2021  11:25 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add coinshouse to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello!
I found this coin up for sale and tried to ID it using the T.Iger catalog for polish coins. I could not find the exact one. Can someone with more experience help me out with an exact ID? There seems to be some oxide on the coin, could lightly cleaning it with a cue tip and some distilled water increase its value?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4631 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2021  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Poznan, but many varieties for that year. I will look a bit and respond.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4631 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2021  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see what you mean.

It is close to a match with P.94.7.b, but yours has SIGI 3 obv.

Romania
14 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2021  1:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinshouse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought 94.7 b is the closest one too. Very strange... What do you think would be a fair estimate for it? I don't know how such a variation would affect the price.
Edited by coinshouse
04/02/2021 1:36 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4631 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2021  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First, I would not do anything to the coin. A dark patina like this is normal.

Common subtypes for 1594 Poznan are selling for about $30-40 (110-150 PLN) at WCN and on OneBid in this condition

Edited by tdziemia
04/02/2021 1:53 pm
Romania
14 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2021  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinshouse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm Well, if the coin was listed for a price close to that I'd probably get it just because of the fact that I can t identify it in T.Iger, but it's going for quite a bit more... Just afraid of missing the opportunity if it turns out to be something rare
Learn More...
United States
19130 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2021  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Common subtypes for 1594 Poznan are selling for

@tdz, could you comment on how many folks are building sub-type sets for these? I recognize that there are some collectors who are focused on this sort of thing (@giedrius comes to mind with the Lithuanian subtypes), but I wonder if there are many folks like that. I'm definitely not sure though...
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4631 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2021  08:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@tdz, could you comment on how many folks are building sub-type sets for these?

I am not tuned in to the collector market in Poland, but maybe some CCF members closer to Poland can comment (@geralttt82 has not been active recently; @giedrius?).

As a follower of Polish auctions, I do notice that some of the auction houses have large sections of each auction devoted to trojaks of Sigismund III and Stefan Batory, so I assume there is high collector interest in these series in Poland (and maybe other places)? For instance, the March Niemczyk auction had 200 trojaks out of a total of 600 Polish kingdom coins, and the February Marciniak had 230 trojaks out of a total of 935 kingdom coins.

To give some idea of the variety in these series... Just for the 20 year period 1588-1607 under Sigismund III, there are 88 date-mint combinations for trojaks, without going into the subtypes (which certainly number several hundred).
For the shorter reign of Stefan Batory, there are 27 date-mint combinations.

The orts of SIgismund III (1608-1626) are also very popular based omn their prevalence at auctions, though trojaks in are more affordable.

Not sure how much that helps. It would be good to get input for members who are actually in Poland!

Valued Member
Lithuania
368 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  06:44 am  Show Profile   Check giedrius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add giedrius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes there are too much varieties of the three-groats of Poznan, 1594 https://wcn.pl/archive?q=trojak+1594+Pozna%C5%84 and the variety of king's busts is unbelievable. Catalogue of Tadeusz Iger can help https://chomikuj.pl/nigromacio/numi...01408822.pdf
Catalogue of Lithuanian half-groats 1495-1529 http://goccf.com/t/282866
Edited by giedrius
04/10/2021 06:45 am
Valued Member
Lithuania
368 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  02:43 am  Show Profile   Check giedrius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add giedrius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Catalogue of Lithuanian half-groats 1495-1529 http://goccf.com/t/282866
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4631 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  08:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@giedrius, can you comment on whether there are many collectors in Lithuania or Poland who focus on collecting mainly trojaks?

Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 331Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05