Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

5 Famous Coins Collectors Can Buy For Less Than $50

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 391Next Topic  
Press Manager
Learn More...
United States
1411 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  10:07 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CCFPress to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
PCGS - There are so many coins that, due to their widespread fame, even non-collectors know about. Of course, there are the super-famous trophy coins that break into news headlines upon their sale, including the 1913 Liberty nickel, 1894-S Barber dime, and 1804 Draped Bust Dollar. Then there are rarities like the 1909-S VDB Lincoln Cent, 1955 Doubled Die Lincoln Cent, and 1937-D 3-Legs Buffalo nickel; these pieces enjoy familiarity among countless Americans and are actively sought by starry-eyed hobbyists and non-collectors who hope to strike it rich through circulation finds - but they (almost) always come up empty-handed with such ambitious objectives.

But there is another group of United States coins that are part of the collective American conscious yet aren't budget breakers, either. These are coins that, often through sociocultural lore passed from one generation to the next, are irrepressibly linked to Americana even many decades after their production. And, thankfully for the coin collectors who wish to obtain such American treasures, they are generally not expensive to purchase. Let's take a brief look at five such coins that are inextricably linked to American culture.
Indian cents

There are many nicknames that collectors have for the Indian cent, which was designed by James B. Longacre and produced from 1859 through 1909. Yet, the Indian cent endures as a coin that for generations of numismatists often became among the first stowed away into collections. And we aren't even just talking about the collectors who grew up during the 20th century.

Even young collectors today are often first introduced to coin collecting through Indian cents passed down to them or given as gifts by parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles, or elderly friends and neighbors. " Indian pennies" and "Indian Head Pennies," as they're so often informally dubbed, remain every bit as important to collectors today as they were more than a half century ago when they were waning from circulation. And nice, lightly circulated examples securely protected in PCGS holders can be bought for as little as $15 to $20 each or even less still.

Read the Entire Article
Learn More...
United States
99503 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
3405 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  3:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its CRAZY but I have all 5 of these and ONLY ONE (well the 1943 and 1943 S steel came close) cost under $20. As to under $50, only the 1921 Morgan was $45.

Edited by hfjacinto
04/22/2021 3:31 pm
Learn More...
United States
99503 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have all five in my 7070 and all were way under $50 each. I probably paid less than $50 for all five.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3405 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Of course, you can buy RAWs for lower than $50, you can probably find a nice sample of each for under $20 except for a Morgan. But this was from the article (BOLD is mine):

Quote:
And nice, lightly circulated examples securely protected in PCGS holders can be bought for as little as $15 to $20 each or even less still.

Edited by hfjacinto
04/22/2021 5:05 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
199 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  11:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Call me silly, but I got stuck paying "a bit more" than $50 for each of those five in my digital Dansco 7070 Type Set, lol.
A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!

My collecting "Pride & Joy" is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/ty...edset/213996
Edited by Winesteven
04/22/2021 11:43 pm
Valued Member
United States
435 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2021  05:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Everything I have on that list was under $20 except my Morgans. But all of them are welcome inclusions in my type set!

And because of their relatively low cost but high interest factor, these are often coins that I'll gift to others (well, maybe not a Walking Lib or Morgan all that often)
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 391Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05