Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Rare 1921 Standing Liberty Quarter

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 499Next Topic  
Press Manager
Learn More...
United States
1420 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  09:29 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CCFPress to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
PCGS - When the topic of key-date Standing Liberty quarters comes up, one's mind often turns to the iconic 1916 Standing Liberty quarter, noted by many numismatic experts as among the most important rarities of the 20th century. With its mintage of just 52,000 pieces and prices starting at over $3,000 in a grade of PCGS G4, it's not hard to see why the 1916 Standing Liberty quarter has deservedly earned such fame; its status as a rare first-year issue for this series designed by Hermon A. MacNeil also helps. But there's another rare and significant Standing Liberty quarter that keeps series enthusiasts on their toes, and that is the 1921.

Standing Liberty Quarter, 1921 25C, FH, PCGS MS67FH

To a collector whose expertise falls beyond Standing Liberty quarters, the 1921 "Standing Lib" might not stand out as a landmark rarity on the surface. Its seven-figure mintage of 1,916,000 certainly doesn't scream "key date," but that's where such assumptions would quickly end. The year 1921 lent to the creation of many rarities in United States coinage due to a post-World War I recession that mitigated the need for high coinage outputs by the U.S. Mint that year. Many series, including the mass-produced Lincoln Cent, saw relatively scant numbers in 1921. The quarter, a workhorse coin in the nation's commerce seemingly forever, saw extensive use in the early 1920s - a time when few American collectors were setting aside modern U.S. coins by date anyway.

There may be many tens of thousands of 1921 Standing Liberty quarters out there, but we'll never know it. Why? Because until 1925, the date on the obverse of the coin was placed in a proud position atop the pedestal upon which Miss Liberty strikes her pose. This means the date wore off to oblivion in short order in circulation, and it appears such was the case for the vast majority of 1921 Standing Liberty quarters. PCGS estimates approximately 10,000 examples of the 1921 Quarter exist with verifiable dates, though most of the known survivors are in lower circulated grades.

Read the Entire Article

Check out 1921 Standing Liberty Quarter on ebay.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59376 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great presentation, thanks!
Learn More...
United States
102028 Posts
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
250 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2021  08:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great article. No one reading the post should ignore reading the "extension" - "Read the entire Article".

I'm currently working on putting together a Standing Liberty Full Head DATE set (doing the date set makes the task possible to accomplish, since I only need one coin for each date, and can avoid the Branch mints if I choose). While I have a lovely 1916 Full Head, the key date, I have not yet found a 1921 Full Head in ANY grade where I like the eye appeal. The hunt goes on......
A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!

My collecting "Pride & Joy" is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/ty...edset/213996
Edited by Winesteven
05/28/2021 08:15 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 499Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05