Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1996-W Roosevelt Dimes?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 582Next Topic  

United States
17 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2021  2:03 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Tezro128 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just curious, do you guys own any? I believe they were the first West Point coins released (at least to the public), and despite their low mintage of around 1,000,000 they go for rather cheap on ebay... I've been able to find MS-68 examples for under $100!
What's the deal with these?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3991 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2021  2:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have six examples. Here's more info:
https://www.PCGS.com/news/scarce-19...osevelt-dime
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3172 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2021  2:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have one.

Dont think I would buy one graded. You can get the whole set on the bay for 20 buckshttps://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-US-Mi...254922786664
Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2021  4:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1996-W dime mintage was 1.457 million. Since all were issued in Mint Sets, few have reached circulation. Therefore, many grade MS-65 or higher.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
39006 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2021  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had one, sold it to my nephew.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
99478 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  10:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do not have one now, but do want to acquire one eventually.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1434 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  10:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I been meaning to get around to buying the mint set and getting one, just never get around to it.

Always higher priorities I guess. I do want one, but a nice original mint set with it included.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5723 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I believe they were the first West Point coins released (at least to the public)

The Mint's West Point facility was actually very active in coin production prior to the 1996-W dimes, having struck circulation and commemorative coins dating back more than two decades prior.

While still a Bullion Depository, West Point struck Lincoln Cents (1973) and Bicentennial Quarters for general circulation - without a mint mark.

In 1984, West Point struck Proof and Uncirculated versions of the gold Eagle commemorative coin for the Los Angeles Olympics - theses coins featured the "W" mint mark. West Point continued to be involved with the modern US commemorative series, incorporating its "W" on the the gold Half Eagle coins for the 1986 Statue of Liberty program, the 1987 Constitution Bicentennial program, the 1988 Olympics program, the 1989 Congress Bicentennial and many others through to the present. In the 1990s, it also began striking commemorative silver dollars - the 1990 Eisenhower commemorative silver dollar was the first.

So, the 1996-W might be the first dime struck at West Point, but the dimes weren't the first coins to be struck there.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
04/05/2021 7:38 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1085 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have two. One raw, a 63/64, for the album and the other still in the 1996 set.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There's no problem only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Valued Member
United States
115 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EDM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got one
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17336 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  07:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1996-W dime mintage was 1.457 million.

And there AREN'T 1.457 million collectors of Roosevelt dimes so what may look at first like a low mintage is actually easily large enough that every collector who wants one can have one. Demand does not exceed supply so the prices stay low.

Quote:
I been meaning to get around to buying the mint set and getting one, just never get around to it.

Just make sure you examine the mint set when you buy it. Since the W mint coin was in it's own cello, some unethical/dishonest people will remove the W coins and continue to sell the 86 set as a complete set. I've seen a lot of people buy 1986 mint sets only to later discover the 1986 W dime wasn't in the set.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  1:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Riellyscions to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just got one today at a drive through burger place in Buda, TX. After 49 years of checking pocket change this is only the second W I have, the other is a 2020 quarter I found this time last year. It makes you wonder how it ended up in circulation. Sorry for the not so good pictures I just wanted to prove I have it : )

Edited by Riellyscions
04/12/2021 1:43 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
39006 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, to find one in the wild
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
99478 Posts
Valued Member
United States
287 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jason39305 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That would be an amazing find! I have one as well in the original 1996 mint set.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 582Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05