Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A 1965 Copper Dime Sold On Ebay For $29.99 In February

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 432Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2021  10:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Mrdrae to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found a 1965 copper dime. I read somewhere that the nickel cladding was defective. What I want to know is if that's a reasonable price or was it a fluke? I found it difficult to photograph but here is what I have.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3273 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2021  11:16 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This looks like environmental damage and corrosion, you can still see the clad underneath.

Not a planchet or cladding error.
Edited by Tanman2001
04/03/2021 11:17 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
38596 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2021  04:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18383 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2021  06:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Has suffered from surface corrosion due in ground burial, most probably in damp conditions.

Copper nickel and copper nickel coins under the above environmental conditions often tone to copper colors.

Under these circumstances, it is a moot point that one could consider that the cladding is defective.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1921 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2021  06:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jasper62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As a environmental damaged coin it's value is 10 cents. If you or someone paid 29.99 they got ripped off
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrdrae to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Once again, I learned something new today. On to the next one.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1415 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Someone on Ebay got scammed for $29.89 but at least the shipping was free!

A dime is supposed to weigh 2.27 grams.
A single clad layer should weigh, 0.40619g +/- 0.05g
both sides missing could be light weight by up to 0.81228g =/- 0.10g.
If it's missing one or both clad layers it should be underweight and weigh around 1.8g or so, and in the case of both sides missing 1.46g or so and it should be visibly thin.

Now, if the Sheet itself were missing the clad layers and nobody caught it, it would still weigh around 2.27g, because it would be rolled out to the correct spec thickness. this is something super rare though, even more rare would be the copper core running out and only getting 2 clad layers pressed together, which in theory also shouldn't be underweight due to rolling the metal strip to achieve specified thickness. unless it was at the very end of the strip I suppose.

in any case, the pictured coin, and the ebay sale isn't any of the above. but this would be the process in identifying when it actually is one. The weight and thickness should make sense for what you see.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1707 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like stated Environmental Damage - just like your 5th picture is telling you -

Everything can change in just one day.........
Best Lincoln roll find & Nicest WOODY find
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16948 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Environmental/chemical damage...keep looking!
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18383 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  01:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It IS possible that the seller had no idea that it had suffered severe environmental damage and therefore took it to be a genuine error, without making any effort to investigate and confirm it for what it is.

The seller was probably? unknowingly lucky to get away with it at the buyers expense, who had also no idea at all.

Moral:- do a thorough investigation on any significant coin buy before you actually go through with it, or, know your coin first.
One of the reasons why coin forums like the CCF exist.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 432Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05