Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1916 Buffalo Nickel.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 569Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
495 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2021  10:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add KenBerthiaume to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
not sure about this. Surfaces look funny, not sure. What do you think?

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2338 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2021  12:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nicely struck! Surfaces look fine to me. There are signs of light wear on the high points, so it's AU58 for me, but I could see others say MS62 as well.

What about the surfaces look off to you?

Edit: coming back to this with fresh eyes in the morning. Going to redact "light wear" and change that to minimal breaks in luster. Agreed with kanga, very slight strike weakness is the cause of flatness, but I still see minimal rub on high points. This one has the same look as my 13-S. Luster is subdued with very light rub, not wear, on the high points. AU58-MS63/64, leaning toward MS.
Edited by Ty2020b
04/04/2021 10:42 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56945 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2021  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd have to say AU-58 as well. Very nice!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5232 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2021  09:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a touch of strike weakness.
Most noticeable by flatness on the horn and shoulder hair.
Scratches on the lower flank/leg of the buffalo.
Is that a die chip in front of the left rear leg?

I don't see any wear but for me that requires an "in hand" examination.
If there isn't wear I can see the coin easily getting an MS-65 with a shot at MS-66.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Valued Member
United States
248 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2021  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a nice coin to me. Only thing is I don't see the doubling you wish was there. Hey, one can dream can't he?
Valued Member
United States
495 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2021  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenBerthiaume to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for replies,

TY2020b, not sure the surfaces just seem a little dull and lifeless, like clay. No luster or anything. Very smooth, no scratches though. I am a novice however.
Learn More...
United States
99412 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10078 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
right in the MS64 range the reverse strike may hold it to MS63
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3166 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Im at MS-64
Pillar of the Community
United States
2952 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  4:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
248 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My opinion of grade is AU58 because of the slight flatness on the obverse where the hairline meets the cheekbone and on the reverse it looks like a little flatness above the front shoulder and again at the hindquarters. Still a coin I would be glad to have in my collection!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22024 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Minor friction on the high points, AU-58.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1986 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  12:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting coin!

The first thing I noticed was that it was struck with rotated dies. Notice the die clash at UNITED. This is the Indian's shoulder and the second feather / UNITED clash. The second feather should curve into the left side of the "U" in UNITED, and the Indian's shoulder should curve into the right side of the "T" in UNITED. On your coin, the second feather curves into the "I" of UNITED and the shoulder curves into the right side of the "D" in UNITED. If you look at the bottom of your coin's second feather, you can see the remnants of the "NI" of UNITED. Rather than clashing with the bottom of PLURIBUS, the chin clashed with the buffalo's back.

Matching die pair, EDS obverse and reverse. That's hard to find. Relatively soft strike, though, with a weak rachis on the second feather, weak hair at the forehead, and weak details on the buffalo's shoulder. The peripheral strike is solid.

From the photos, I cannot see any evidence of circulation. The fields are excellent, and there are very few contact marks. The rims are solid.

The obverse has a light scratch from the second feather to the cheek and a very light scratch from the feather tie to the forehead. These are consistent with MS-65.

On the reverse, I see hairline scratches on the buffalo's shoulder and a semi-circular scratch from the buffalo's shoulder to the left rear leg. These are consistent with MS-65.

Slightly rotated dies are common, and do not bring a premium. I do not see any adjustments to the raw grade. The net grade should be MS-65. This coin would be an easy bourse floor old school Gem BU.

Nice coin!
Valued Member
United States
138 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  02:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Reedbeard08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Buffalos are perhaps my favorite more modern US coins, so I'm really drooling over the obverse. Nice details on the buffalo as well, the left eye really caught mine.

Thanks for the die clash spot, @fortcollins
Pillar of the Community
United States
7919 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  03:32 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't really see any areas I would call obvious rub or wear, though in hand will always tell the story better as one tilts the coin through the light. I'd say MS64.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...IC_ID=140440
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 569Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05