Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Fake 1949 Canada Silver Dollar?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 530Next Topic  

Canada
3 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2021  11:51 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ty1995 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I just saw this on eBay and right from the beginning it didn't look right (imo) the sails on the ship seemed odd, and when I went to the next image I saw on the observe "ET IND: IMP:" which I know shouldn't be there because it was removed from the 1948 silver dollar onwards..

I just discovered this forum the other day after reading an article about Mike Marshall, so I figured how this would be a good place to post about this.so I made an account.

I was going to message the seller and tell him (I got the draft ready to send) but I thought I would make a quick post here first.

It worries me to see such a common coin that imo looks fake af.

Canada
3 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2021  11:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty1995 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1666 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2021  11:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome! Maybe the seller mixed up the photos?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1666 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2021  11:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The seller has a 39 for sale with an identical photo. Just a mix up I think.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8365 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2021  12:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's exactly what happened.
Same obverse pic for both coins.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Canada
3 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2021  12:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty1995 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh Lord I feel dumb now #128517; good thing I didn't report it.
That Mike Marshall article got me all paranoid now, I'm seeing fakes everywhere haha
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18443 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2021  06:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ Ty1995: Before buying any coin, it is good to have a very defensive attitude towards fakes.
In most cases the possibility of fake can be very quickly dismissed if you do due diligence and investigate and/or examine in hand first. Know your coin before you buy.

I this case, I agree with other posters: an honest? mistake on the part of the seller.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1829 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2021  08:06 am  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ty1995 I agree...that Marshall guy can do that to you.....
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3570 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2021  08:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mikey, Mikey, Mikey ... did you hurt yourself with that pat on the back? Hope to see you sometime in the near future
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1829 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2021  08:53 am  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
GOLF Uncle Bill! Roger, Dave M and any other Interested person. How does that sound?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3570 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2021  09:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Our course not open yet ... maybe once the Covid more contained, we can do something. Maybe Fall.
Learn More...
United States
99357 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 530Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05