Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1658 Cromwell Shilling

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 622Next Topic  
Valued Member
United Kingdom
200 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2021  05:19 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Collector28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

I am posting this on behalf of a friend. They have had this coin in their possession for some time now, and want to discover more about it. It was discovered in an old tin.

I'm not an expert on Cromwell currency, though believe it to be a shilling. I'd like to know whether you all think it is genuine, and if so how she would go about selling it?

The diameter is 28mm, and the weight is approximately 6g on her scales.

Many thanks
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18425 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2021  05:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At six grams weight, it has to be a Shilling.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
602 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  04:46 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been waiting and hoping someone with more knowledge would chip in, but as that has not happened yet, I will add my pennyworth.

I am certainly no expert on the Cromwell coins - they are so rare I have never had the pleasure of owning one. This coin looks very attractive, but one has to be wary as there are so many copies and fakes of these, both old and new.

From the pictures in Spink, I suspect this is not an original 1658 shilling - the detail on the drapery looks wrong. It may well be a Tanner copy - these were issued in 1738 and are valuable collectables in their own right. But it could still be a much more recent copy as the fakers have got so good at making modern repros look as if they have been around for 100s of years.

If selling it, I would suggest using one of the top coin auction houses as they can sell it with verification and so command a much higher price. I personally favour DNW.CO.UK, but Spink or Lockdales would also be good choices. (If they feel it is not right, they will let you know and you will have lost only postage.)
United Kingdom
6 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  05:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fionat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to Collector28 for posting this on my behalf. I've now managed to complete registration! :)

I'm pretty sure that the coin has been in my family since at least around 1940s - it was in a tin with a lot of wartime coins etc, and probably came from my grandparents, so if it is a copy, I don't believe it to be very recent.
United Kingdom
6 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  06:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fionat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Paddy - I have submitted an online valuation request, so will await with interest!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
602 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  06:19 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@fionat to the forum.

Do let us know what they come back with. Is it DNW you have contacted?
United Kingdom
6 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  07:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fionat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you :D

Yes, DNW. Most of the local valuation days are currently cancelled, but hopefully they can make an assessment from the photos.
Learn More...
United States
99075 Posts
United Kingdom
6 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fionat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Update - I've spoken to the auction house, and from the photos it looks like the real thing. Obviously that will need confirming as there are a lot of very good fakes, but promising so far! Will keep you posted :)
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
602 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is brilliant news! Good luck.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18425 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am glad that is looking to be genuine.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
796 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  06:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tom Goodheart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's great! 99% of the time these things are cheap replicas, so it'd be fascinating if it proves to be genuine!

It is a bit odd, as it's not really the sort of thing that most people would have unless they collect coins. They are pretty rare items and not the sort of thing you'd just pick up by chance. I suppose it might have been a gift or a find, but generally people get quite excited about the potential value and someone in the family would have heard it being discussed before.

Anyway, here's hoping and let us know how things go with DNW!
United Kingdom
6 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  08:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fionat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well my mother's ancestors were quite wealthy, and a fair number of antiques have been passed down in the family. She had a couple of unmarried aunts, so it could well be that the coin came from one of their estates without anyone realising that it was special. Sadly, she's no longer with us so no-one to ask!
United Kingdom
6 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  05:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fionat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The auction house are happy with the coin - it'll be going into the 1 June sale. Exciting stuff, not (just) for the value, but for the history and wondering how it got into our family tin in the first place!
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18425 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  07:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's provenance for you!
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 622Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05
New