Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Have An Opportunity To Buy Some Proof Sets But I Need Help.

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,207Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
63 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  07:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrdrae to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Need more information. Did the 2007 and 2008 sets include Presidential dollars, all the State Quarters?

Oh my, I just realized that they don't contain any of the Presidential dollars or quarters. I did by another lot that has five sets of Presidential dollars proofs. Maybe that will save me a little bit.
Valued Member
United States
63 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  09:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrdrae to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also bought a lot that contains two 2008 proof quarters and one 2007 proof quarters. I think I may be ok with the purchase. or

I can't wait to get some feedback.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
824 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  09:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In the business and collecting is only one thinking: Accept the lost, the profit and do not regret your investing. Like this you are successful. Every step teach you something.
Valued Member
United States
63 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrdrae to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In the business and collecting is only one thinking: Accept the lost, the profit and do not regret your investing. Like this you are successful. Every step teach you something.

This could have not been said better. That was my goal to jump in and sink or swim. I would however, like to know if I'm sinking or swimming. So here are my purchases and I will try to explain them better.

Lot 1
3 2008 Proof each with only 5 coins 1c, 5c,10c 50c, and $1
2 2007 Proof each with only 5 coins 1c, 5c,10c 50c, and $1

Lot 2
3 2007 Presidential $ Proof with only 4 coins
2 2008 Presidential $ Proof with only 4 coins

Lot 3
3 2008 Proof each with only 5 coins 1c, 5c,10c 50c, and $1
1 2007 Proof with 5 quarters.
2 2008 Proof each with 5 quarters.

Summarized
2 2008 proof sets 14 coins.
1 2007 Proof set 14 coins.
4 2008 Proof each with only 5 coins 1c, 5c,10c 50c, and $1
1 2007 Proof each with only 5 coins 1c, 5c,10c 50c, and $1
2 2007 Presidential $ Proof with only 4 coins

Please throw out a few numbers of what you would have paid for all three lots. I can only sink or swim, but I would like to know which one.

Thanks
Pillar of the Community
Canada
824 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, I give you my example. This is personal and do not mean is general or a norm.

I do not look at e-bay prices. I balance between blue book 5 years old and some normal auction houses sell now. Then also I look of the individual price for certified coins and varieties. The complete set is chipper then individual certified. Remember that, majority here do not buy the slab, just the coin. For me to certify is blow up the money for nothing except for selling on big auctions houses and this is for valuable coins or banknotes. Example I will not sped time and money certify a 100$ for a Morgan casually years in proof-like.

In the last auction wholesale your sets was at average 20$. You can have some premium coins like presidential with plain edge which give premium.

So you decide yourself. The market is not so bad now, but who know? In god we trust! God know what will be.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1478 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For any of this, and the idiotic way they are offering them, I would only be a buyer up to face value of the "sets" that were pieced up. If they sell for more to someone else so be it.

Lot 1 $8.30
Lot 2 $8.00
Lot 3 $8.73

Grand total for all of it, $25.03.
And not a cent more. let someone else take it beyond that. lenses are probably all scratched, COAs missing, Boxes damaged or missing, lenses pried apart and reclosed...., no, just no. Incomplete sets, get incomplete prices in my book.
Valued Member
United States
63 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrdrae to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
For any of this, and the idiotic way they are offering them, I would only be a buyer up to face value of the "sets" that were pieced up. If they sell for more to someone else so be it.

Lot 1 $8.30
Lot 2 $8.00
Lot 3 $8.73

Grand total for all of it, $25.03.

Well at this price I am sinking fast. No worries though, I learned a lesson. Hopefully, I can recoup on Ebay and try again.

Thank you for all the responses. I have learned some new things today.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17381 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  07:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd pay at a higher rate than Big-Kingdom. I typically figure for partial sets unless there is something special present a rate of $1 to $1.25 per coin. So my top for the lots would have been
Lot 1 $30
Lot 2 $25
Lot 3 $21

And I would assume those amounts are probably fairly close to the retail value of the partial sets. The five coin quarter
and 4 coin dollar sets might do a little better because the mint DID sell the five and four coin sets separately, but without the boxes they would not bring "full set" prices and would be treated as partial sets.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
United States
63 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  11:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrdrae to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'd pay at a higher rate than Big-Kingdom. I typically figure for partial sets unless there is something special present a rate of $1 to $1.25 per coin. So my top for the lots would have been
Lot 1 $30
Lot 2 $25
Lot 3 $21

How about that. I'm not sinking as fast as I thought. I can breathe better now that I know there are opinions out there closer to what I thought. Thanks, for your feedback Conder101.
Valued Member
United States
413 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lot 2 face value is $20, so I think Big-Kingdom read that as 2 sets and not 5 sets. I'd probably be at $15, $25, and $12 for the three sets...but honestly probably wouldn't bid unless I actually needed specific coins. Not sure what I would do with 6 proof 2008 cents.
It really depends on how much you want them. If you go into the auction not caring if you win, but only want a great deal, bidding near face value makes sense. If you really want to win, you obviously need to bid higher.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,207Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05