Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your Coins And Medals Designed By A Woman

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 63 / Views: 1,616Next Topic
Page: of 5
Learn More...
United States
99075 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 2020 Women's Suffrage Centennial Silver (US) Dollars and Medals were designed by women.

Quote:
Artistic Infusion Program artist Christina Hess designed both the obverse (heads) and reverse (tails) of the [dollar] coin, which were both sculpted by United States Mint Medallic Artist Phebe Hemphill.
For more info: http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...IC_ID=369356

Learn More...
United States
99075 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The obverse of the medal, designed by Artistic Infusion Program (AIP) artist Beth Zaiken and sculpted by United States Mint Medallic Artist Renata Gordon...

The reverse of the medal, designed by AIP artist Patricia Lucas-Morris and sculpted by United States Mint Medallic Artist Renata Gordon...
For more info: http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...IC_ID=367515

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5669 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  07:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jbuck: Nice contributions! Perfect progression from NumisRob's WSPU coin.

Nice to see medals finding their way into your collection!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5669 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  08:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Likely the most famous and most well-liked of Laura Gardin Fraser's US commemorative coins is the Oregon Trail Memorial half dollar, a coin that was struck between 1926 and 1939 (though not in all years and not always by all mints the years it was struck).

LGF working on model for "Better Babies" medal for Women's Home Companion magazine.

(Image Credit: Originally published in Women's Home Journal magazine in 1914; now Public Domain.

The coin's design is the result of a collaborative effort between LGF and her husband James Earle Fraser (of "Buffalo" Nickel and Norse-American Centennial medal fame). It is generally stated that it is the only joint project in which the two artists engaged. While that may be true in terms of credited work, I find it hard to believe that the married couple, working together for years in the same studio, did not help each other out from time to time - whether as a sounding board for design ideas, helping to finalize the detail of a design or even hands-on assistance with a sculpture. I say this without any hard evidence to back my claim, however, it is based simply on observation of human behavior and the potential to take full advantage of free consulting help from a supremely talented and well-respected peer (in either direction).

I've written before that the US Mint considers the Conestoga Wagon side (i.e., the side with the date) to be the obverse and the Native American side to be the reverse even though the artists had the opposite intentions. James Earle designed the Conestoga Wagon side and Laura Gardin handled the Native American side; LGF prepared the models for both sides, however. Note: There are multiple web sites that mis-attribute the design credits for the coin, mistakenly assigning the Native American side to James and the Wagon side to Laura.)

Though the Oregon Trail Memorial half dollar was the last of LGF's US commemorative coin designs to be struck/issued (until 1999), she continued to be busy with medal commissions that kept her attached to the numismatic community for decades.

1926-39 Oregon Trail Memorial Half Dollar

I've posted about the Oregon Trail half dollar previously:

- 1926 Oregon Trail Memorial
- 1926 Oregon Trail - Rotated Reverse Error?
- 1936-S Oregon Trail Half Dollar
- Oregon Trail Memorial Half Dollars - Coins with Hands Thread
- Oregon Trail Memorial Half Dollars - Coins with Hats Thread
- Oregon Trail Memorial Half Dollars - Coins Depicting the Sun Thread
- Oregon Trail Memorial Half Dollars - Coins with Stars Thread

More posts about commemorative coins and medals can be found here: Read More: Commems Collection

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
99075 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  10:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@jbuck: Nice contributions! Perfect progression from NumisRob's WSPU coin.
It was an opportunity I could not resist.

Quote:
Nice to see medals finding their way into your collection!
Thank you! I really love these silver dollar and medal sets. I would love to see one for this year; maybe the McAuliffe dollar paired with a Challenger themed medal.
Learn More...
United States
99075 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  10:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I find it hard to believe that the married couple, working together for years in the same studio, did not help each other out from time to time - whether as a sounding board for design ideas, helping to finalize the detail of a design or even hands-on assistance with a sculpture. I say this without any hard evidence to back my claim, however, it is based simply on observation of human behavior and the potential to take full advantage of free consulting help from a supremely talented and well-respected peer (in either direction).
I agree. I feel like neither would insist on having credit for their consultation, which is why evidence may be lacking.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5669 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  07:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bonnie Ross created the designs for a series of portrait coins that recognized Canadian heroes from the War of 1912. There were four coins in the collection; the coins honored: Major General Sir Isaac Brock (2012), Tecumseh (2012), Lieutenant Colonel Charles de Salaberry (2013) and Laura Secord (2013).

The designs were struck as twenty-five cent coins, with and without color, for circulation and as a proof silver $4 coin with color for collectors.

Here are the four collector versions:

Ms. Ross is an artist from Nova Scotia with decades of experience in illustration and graphic design. She has deigned more than two dozen coins for the Royal Canadian Mint, In addition to her work for the RCM, she has also received commissions from Canada Post, Parks Canada, various Canadian Government agencies, museums and major design and advertising firms.

( Image Credit: Image courtesy of the Royal Canadian Mint, http://www.mint.ca )

Edited by commems
04/09/2021 09:18 am
Learn More...
United States
99075 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5669 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  06:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Before presenting another classic US commemorative coin designed by a woman, I wanted to post another coin designed by Bonnie Ross for the Royal Canadian Mint ( RCM).

Here is the standard proof version of the "100th Anniversary of the Declaration of World War II" silver dollar, along with the selectively gold-plated version that was available only in the 2014 Fine Silver Proof Set.

The silver dollar depicts a touching scene of a soldier saying "Goodbye!" just before boarding the train to Canada's military base at Valcartier.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5669 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  11:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Juliette May Fraser (1887-1983) was born and and raised in Honolulu, HI. She attended and graduated from the Punahou Prepatory School in Hawaii before traveling to the States to attend Wellesley College in Massachusetts; she graduated from Wellesley with a BA degree in 1910. She has stated that Wellesley provided her with a good Art History background, but very little in terms of practical art instruction; this was a disappointment to her. She would later enhance her practical knowledge and skills through study at the Art Students League in New York.

She returned to Hawaii and taught for a time at William McKinley High School and at Punahou Prep.

Her progression as an artist took her from drawings and paintings of small objects and still life displays to murals, a medium for which she became very well-known. In 1934-35, Fraser painted murals of Hawaiian legends on the walls within the Hawaii State Library. Though some are partially obscured by building renovations, the murals can still be seen today in the Library's Edna Allyn Room (i.e., the Children's Room). In 1938, the Fraser mural - "Harvest Celebration" - was mounted in the Hawai'i Pavilion at the Golden Gate International Exposition (i.e., World's Fair) in San Francisco; the Exposition was staged in 1939 and 1940 (February 18, 1939 through October 29, 1939 and May 25, 1940 through September 29, 1940).

Fraser did not have an extended association with numismatics; it appears her only foray into the field was with the 1928 Hawaiian half dollar. The chieftain on the coin's reverse is described simply as a "chieftain" in the standard references for the US commemorative coin series; I've written before here on CCF that I believe Fraser based her sketches for her Hawaiian chieftain on the statue of King Kamehameha I that stands outside of the Judiciary Building in Honolulu, HI (the statue was dedicated in 1883). Thomas R. Gould was the sculptor of the statue. You can read more about the background for my assertions via the link below.

Fraser died in Honolulu, HI in 1983.

1928 Hawaiian (European) Discovery Sesquicentennial Half Dollar

Fraser Mural that Bears Close Resemblance to Scene Depicted on 1928 Half Dollar

(Image Credit: Works Progress Administration (WPA) commissioned work; image is in Public Domain.

You can learn more about the Hawaiian commemorative coin by checking out:

- 1928 Hawaiian Discovery Sesquicentennial
- 1928 Hawaiian Discovery Sesquicentennial - Revisited
- 1928 Hawaiian Discovery Sesquicentennial - Bank of Hawaii Auction
- The 1928 Hawaiian Chieftan

Other of my posts about commemorative coins and medals can be found here: Read More: Commems Collection.

Edited by commems
04/11/2021 11:38 am
Learn More...
United States
99075 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8497 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  05:26 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Few women have had as much of an impact on UK circulating coins in the past few years as Emma Noble! She has designed 15 British 50 pence coins commemorating Beatrix Potter and her famous animal characters. 13 of these coins were put into circulation between 2016 and 2018: there were additional NIFC coins in 2019 and 2020.

You can read about this talented young woman here:
https://www.peterrabbit.com/emma-noble-royal-mint/

A few of her designs:

Learn More...
United States
99075 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5669 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  10:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@NumisRob: Great additions to the thread! Thanks for the informative link as well.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5669 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  4:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Up next, is American artist/sculptor Gertrude Katherine Lathrop. She was born in Albany, NY on December 24, 1896 into an artistic family. Her mother, Ida, was a painter and her older sister, Dorothy, would become a painter and illustrator. She attended the Art Students League in New York City where she studied under noted sculptor Gutzon Borglum, and later studied under internationally-acclaimed sculptor Charles Grafly.

Gertrude's favorite subject matter was domestic animals, but she also received commissions for larger, public works. A quick internet search on "Gertrude Lathrop sculpture" will reveal the depth and breadth of her work. Her preferred medium for sculpture was bronze.

She was a member of various art organizations, including the National Association of Women Artists, Painters, and Sculptors; the Society of Animal Painters and Sculptors; the National Academy of Design; the National Institute of Arts and Letters; the National Sculpture Society Association and the Society of Medalists. She was also a member of the American Numismatic Society.

Gertrude died of pneumonia on March 16, 1986 at Sharon Hospital in Sharon, CT.

Gertrude Lathrop designed two classic US commemorative coins, the 1936 250th Anniversary of the Albany Charter and the 1938 250th Anniversary of New Rochelle, NY. Presented here is the Albany commemorative half dollar.

1936 Albany Charter 250th Anniversary Half Dollar

To learn more about the Albany half dollar, have a look at:

- Albany Charter 250th
- Albany Charter 250th - Ephemera
- Albany Charter 250th - Unused Funds
- Albany Charter 250th - Coins with Hands Thread

For other posts about commemorative coins and medals, see: Read More: Commems Collection.

Edited by commems
04/15/2021 6:44 pm
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 63 / Views: 1,616Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05
New