Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your Coins And Medals Designed By A Woman

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 75 / Views: 2,372Next Topic
Page: of 5
Learn More...
United States
100870 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  3:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A woman called Suzanne Danielli was being interviewed about a set of coins she had just designed for the newly-independent country of the Seychelles. Here is one of her coins:
Fantastic!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5905 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2021  08:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Elizabeth Nealon Weistrop was an artist/sculptor best known for her portrait busts,small bronze figures of people and animals and bas relief panels; she created panels for multiple public buildings, including the Erie County Courthouse in Buffalo, NY, the Sedgewick County Courthouse in Wichita, KS and the Chicago-Kent College of Law in Chicago, IL.

She was born in Troy, New York on February 15, 1916 and demonstrated her artistic talent at a very young age - she was sculpting by the age of six!

She studied at the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts with Albert Laessle (known for his realistic sculptures of animals) and at the National Academy of Design under Lew Lawrie; Lawrie served as the sculptor member of the Commission of Fine Arts for many years, and was often involved with the designs of US commemorative coins (mostly providing reviews/critiques, but sometimes becoming involved in the refinement and finalization of designs).

Portrait of Weistrop from the HoF Medal's Pamphlet

Ms. Nealon married Henry Weistrop and used her maiden name combined with his for the rest of her career. The couple had two daughters, Elizabeth and Kathleen.

Honors/Awards included:

- Lindsey Morris Memorial Prize for Bas-Relief Sculpture, National Sculpture Society
- Daisy Lion Memorial Prize, Allied Artists of America
- Founder's Prize, Pen and Brush Club of New York
- Mrs. John Newington Award, Hudson Valley Art Association

Weistrop created a fair number of medals in her career, though it does not appear she ever designed a coin, either for the US or another country. In addition to the Hall of Fame for Great Americans John Whittier medal shown here, she also created the "Twelve Tribes of Israel" set of historical art medals, the Frankenhuis Holocaust commemorative art medal, the Lion of Israel medal, the Equal Justice Under Law medal and the Sower of the Forest medal for the Society of Medalists (Issue #72).

Ms. Weistrop died on March 23, 1999 in Half Moon Bay, CA where she had lived with her husband after moving from the East Coast.

John Greenleaf Whittier was a noted American poet and ardent abolitionist born in Haverhill, MA on December 17, 1807; he died at the age of 84 on September 7, 1892 in Hampton Falls, NH. Whittier used his words, and time in public service, to fight against slavery and secure freedom for all. Ms. Weistrop said of her subject as she worked on the medal, "I kept in mind his character, his courage, his integrity, his depth of mind and his resolute determination to fight for the freedom of all men." IMO, Whittier's strong character comes through loud and clear via Weistrop's portrait.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5905 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  10:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of my favorite commemorative silver dollars from Canada is the 2010 coin that was struck following the death of Canada's last-known surviving soldier from World War I. The enameled silver dollar was meant to recognize and honor the courage and sacrifices of Canada's World War I veterans.

The coin's commemorative reverse was designed and engraved by the Royal Canadian Mint's Senior Engraver - Christie Paquet. It features a single large poppy in the foreground (enhanced with red enamel) with a field of poppies in the background. I find the design very striking (no pun intended) and meaningful.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
05/10/2021 07:42 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5905 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  08:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's impossible to discuss the coins of Laura Gardin Fraser without presenting the two coins she designed for the newly-independent Republic of the Philippines.

The 1947-dated coins each feature the Philippines Coat of Arms on the obverse, with slightly different portraits of US General Douglas MacArthur on their reverse; the coin denominations are One Peso and 50 Centavos. The pair were the first coins struck for the new Republic and were designed to honor and commemorate the "We shall return!" liberator of the Philippine Islands; General Douglas MacArthur returned to the Philippines on October 20, 1944 and oversaw the months-long battle required to expel the Japanese from the Philippines.

The General MacArthur coins were struck in low-relief at the San Francisco Mint and are often found with "mushy" strikes and indistinct design details.

Learn More...
United States
100870 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17766 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  11:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2016 Canada
1 Dollar - Elizabeth II Women's Right to Vote.
Engraver: Susanna Blunt
Engraver: Laurie McGaw

Learn More...
United States
100870 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5905 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Emily Damstra is a designer within the US Mint Artist Infusion Program (AIP). The AIP is a program through which the Mint contracts with outside, professional artists to assist with creating designs for new coins and medals; the program was launched in 2003.

The web site of the US Mint has a nice writeup on Ms. Damstra - I encourage all to give it a look via the following link: Emily Damstra Bio

Among her projects was the 2018 Breast Cancer Awareness (BCA) coin designs; the three coins of the program make use of the same obverse and reverse designs.

The obverse of the coins presents an older woman with her two hands on her chest alongside a younger woman who has her right hand raised in a defiant pose; she is wearing a scarf on her head. A butterfly is shown flying above them and a Breast Cancer Awareness ribbon is to the immediate left (viewer's perspective) of the younger woman.

The common reverse is dominated by a view of a Tiger Swallowtail butterfly (it appears to be a larger version of the butterfly seen on the obverse); the butterfly is encircled by the coin's commemorative and legally-required inscriptions. Butterflies are considered symbols of hope within the BCA community.

Presented are the copper-nickel clad half dollar, silver dollar and pink gold half eagle ($5.00) coins (all in uncirculated versions):

Learn More...
United States
100870 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  3:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The AIP is a program through which the Mint contracts with outside, professional artists to assist with creating designs for new coins and medals; the program was launched in 2003.
I did not know this. Very interesting.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5905 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Elizabeth Jones was the first woman to be appointed as the Chief Sculptor-Engraver of the US Mint; she filled the position from 1981 until her retirement in 1990.

She was born in Montclair, NJ on May 31, 1935 (Montclair is a smallish town in NE New Jersey, part of the expanded suburbs of New York City). She demonstrated an interest and talent in art at an early age and attended the Kimberley School, a well-respected prep school in New Jersey (the school later became the Montclair Kimberley Academy).

She earned her BA in Art from Vassar College in 1957, and later studied at the Students Art League in New York City from 1958 to 1960. Jones was a student of painting and sculpture. She continued her studies in Rome, Italy at the Scuola dell' Arte della Medaglia (a school within the Italian Mint) where she earned her diploma in 1964. Jones moved to Italy in 1961 and remained in Rome for 20 years. She enjoyed a robust professional career that brought her acclaim from all corners. During her time in Italy, she mounted successful one-woman exhibitions of her work around the world.

She moved back to the US to become the 11th Chief Sculptor-Engraver of the US Mint.

In terms of awards and recognition:

- 1972 Sculptor of the Year Award (American Numismatic Association)
- 1978 Louis Bennett Award (National Sculpture Society)
- 1985 Distinguished Alumni Award (Kimberley School)
- 1990 Elected Fellow, American Numismatic Society
- 1994 Awarded Honorary Life Membership, American Numismatic Association

She designed a handful of US commemorative coins:
- 1982 George Washington Half Dollar
- 1983 Los Angeles Olympics Silver Dollar
- 1986 State of Liberty Centennial, Gold Half Eagle
- 1988 Olympics Gold Half Eagle (Obverse)
- 2001 Capitol Visitor's Center Gold Half Eagle

She also designed the popular US Mint Ronald Reagan Presidential Medal and the Mint's medal for Secretary of the Treasury James A. Baker, III.

Jones received many private commissions for medals; subjects included:

- Pope John Paul II
- Susan B. Anthony (Franklin Mint)
- Albert Schweitzer
- Charles Dickens
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
- Pablo Picasso
- Gloria Steinem

Here's one of my favorite Elizabeth Jones designs, the obverse of the 1988 Gold Half Eagle for the Olympic Games in Seoul, South Korea. The design depicts the face of Nike, the Greek Goddess of Victory:

Edited by commems
05/15/2021 2:44 pm
Learn More...
United States
100870 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  10:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent!

Quote:
- 1982 George Washington Half Dollar
I bought these direct from the mint and I believe my reading about them beforehand was the first time I had seen her name in print.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5905 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  08:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I believe my reading about them beforehand was the first time I had seen her name in print.

Not too surprising considering her long years in Italy before joining the US Mint. The 1982 George Washington half dollar was Jones' first credited work at the US Mint.

Here's the 1982 George Washington 250th Anniversary of Birth silver half dollar:

Another classic Jones design is the 1986 Statue of Liberty Centennial gold half eagle. I really like the close-up view of Lady Liberty.

(Image Credit: Both images are courtesy of PCGS ConiFacts, http://www.PCGS.com.)

I'm happy to say that I have examples of both in my collection!

Learn More...
United States
100870 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2021  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Not too surprising considering her long years in Italy before joining the US Mint. The 1982 George Washington half dollar was Jones' first credited work at the US Mint.

I do not have pretty images of my pair, but I do have this...

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5905 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2021  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rebecca Yanovskaya is as Canadian artist based in Toronto, ON. She is described on her web site as : "a freelance illustrator working in the fantasy, sci-fi and horror genres. She frequently illustrates mythological stories, natural forces, and aesthetically strong characters." Her web site provides much more: Rebecca Yanovskaya.

She is a graduate of Sheridan College, a community college in northern Wyoming.

She has designed several coins for the Royal Canadian Mint (R C M), including the 2017 commemorative silver dollar for the 150th anniversary of the Canadian Confederation (shown below). Other coin designs by Ms. Yanovskaya for the R C M have included 2018's A Modern Allegory, and Beneath The Shining Skies, a three-coin set and 2019's The Elements, a four-coin set and The Fabric of Canada, a silver coin featuring a colorized Canadian National Flag. In 2020, she designed a UNESCO commemorative for Canada's "L'Anse aux Meadows," the circa 1000 AD Viking encampment discovered in 1968 on the island of Newfoundland. (Visit the Mint's web site to see all of her past coin commissions.)

Here is the regular proof edition of the 2017 commemorative silver dollar, followed by the selectively gold-plated version that was available only in the 2017 Pure Silver Proof Set - Canadian Confederation.

For more about the coin, check out:

- 2017 Canadian Confederation Silver Dollar Proof SD

Learn More...
United States
100870 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2021  09:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here is the regular proof edition of the 2017 commemorative silver dollar, followed by the selectively gold-plated version that was available only in the 2017 Pure Silver Proof Set - Canadian Confederation.
An impressive looking pair!
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 75 / Views: 2,372Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05