Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Correlation Between Search And Old Threads

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 123Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2805 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  05:35 am Show Profile   Check SilverCents's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just thought I would mention something I noted just now.

As a lot of you might've noticed, old topics, especially in the Modern Coin Section have been revived by newer members, as newer members tend to drift towards that section more than others.

The push for individuals to use the search bar instead of asking a question which has been asked thousands of times, such as "What's the difference between a doubled die and Machine Doubling?" has also been focused on more, for good reason.

I believe there might be a correlation between these two aspects. As when people search up more specific titles, such as if a newbie had a 2002 5c they believed to be a DDO, they would search up that exact title. If they were to be that specific, then older threads would pop up. They are then inclined to post on that thread rather than start their own just based on their inexperience of the forum.

So I think that when more people are driven to use the search bar, newer members tend to revive old threads more often, as they pop up in the search engine.

This correlation isn't important, but I just thought I would comment on it for those that might be wondering why older threads have been revived for what seems to be little reason.
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump
The concept of maturity is complex. While one's capacity to be mature can be correlated with age, someone's overall maturity and respect for life is not. Maturity is formed through experience and perception.
Human progress can only be achieved through trial and error.
Learn More...
United States
32564 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  08:11 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it were truly desired to stop all "old topics" from being revived, a date since the last post plus a certain amount of time could trigger an automatic topic lock.
It's 2021, RENEW your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
Pillar of the Community
United States
3559 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  08:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seems we had part of this conversation recently:
http://goccf.com/t/396209#3390793
Edited by ijn1944
04/05/2021 08:56 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2805 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  10:40 am  Show Profile   Check SilverCents's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see no need for such a lock, I just wished to point out a correlation.

Oh well now, I just feel stupid. Thanks for pointing that out ijn1944, if I would've seen that topic I wouldn't have even bothered to post this.
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump
The concept of maturity is complex. While one's capacity to be mature can be correlated with age, someone's overall maturity and respect for life is not. Maturity is formed through experience and perception.
Human progress can only be achieved through trial and error.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1022 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  10:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Oh well now, I just feel stupid. Thanks for pointing that out ijn1944, if I would've seen that topic I wouldn't have even bothered to post this.

Don't worry Silver, the only stupid question is the one not asked.

(Hey! at least you didn't revive an old thread to bring this up..)
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower set coin count: 36/36
Edited by Dearborn
04/07/2021 10:34 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 123Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05