Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1840 Large Cent - Should I Have This Professionally Graded?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 602Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  11:13 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CoppersPub to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I believe this is an 1840 Braided Hair small date.
I can't fix the value, they are all over the place. This looks nicer than most of the coins I see out there.

Edited by CoppersPub
04/05/2021 11:15 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2169 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  11:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you post a pic of the reverse as well?

Questionable color and also looks possibly whizzed. Surfaces are definitely not original. Sadly, a Details coin.

Edit: correct in this is a small date
Edited by Ty2020b
04/05/2021 11:42 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4491 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  11:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, surfaces appear to be altered unfortunately
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  11:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoppersPub to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
New here... Sorry, "whizzed?"

Will dig it back out and post a reverse when I can.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2169 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  12:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whizzing is done using a variety of metal, fiberglass, plastic etc. attachments on a rotary tool (dremel, drill, etc) to artificially enhance or create luster. Sometimes it's more obvious than others, especially if done poorly, but if done well is harder to notice without magnification. There will be hairlines visible under high magnification.

It usually leaves the surfaces flat a lifeless, as seen on your coin. There is no cartwheel effect to your example, with no rhyme or reason to the way the light reflects off the surfaces.

You can search "whizzed" or "whizzing" in the search bar and find a few good threads with examples.
Edited by Ty2020b
04/06/2021 12:41 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
38463 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  04:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. When you find the coin please remove it from the holder (carefully) and post photos of the obverse and reverse of the coin.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1033 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  07:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add machine20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that it has the classic whizzed look
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55774 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  08:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Closeups of both sides should clarify.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
874 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  09:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a Chinese fake.
Learn More...
United States
97871 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1036 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Glad to see that you asked first, well done. I would agree that the surfaces are not original, sad, but even detail graded it would bring a bit more than one which is not should that be part of your question. To go that route I'd go with ANACS since their fees are cheaper without a membership fee. Still, it is a nice example all things considered.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There's no problem only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Pillar of the Community
United States
1033 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add machine20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it would go for more as is than if it were graded if you were to put it on eBay
Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  9:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NumisEd, just curious what you are seeing that gives the impression of a Chinese Fake. Is it the odd colored dentil? No disrespect meant, I am trying to learn to see what others see in spotting fake coins.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55774 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin exhibits not the slightest sense of age in any way. There are no subtleties to the toning, no sense of warmth. This cannot be an original specimen.
Valued Member
United States
329 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  02:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This coin exhibits not the slightest sense of age in any way

100% agree, like NumisEd I initially thought this was a fake because those surfaces don't look anything like an authentic piece. I still am leaning toward it being fake, the details look off.

I don't know if the details are off because it isn't genuine, or because it wore down a fair bit before getting whizzed. Either way, the details plus the surfaces are extremely suspect
Edited by PNWType
04/08/2021 02:44 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1907 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First,

Excluding crude cast fakes, the only counterfeit 1840 cents that I have seen are muled variety large date coins, struck from transfer dies. We desperately need to see the reverse pics here.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 602Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05