Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post A Daniel Carr Fantasy Coin/Token If You Have One.

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 46 / Views: 1,011Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
United States
283 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  07:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chopped Triumphs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One more not so much a fantasy coin.

Pillar of the Community
United States
916 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  09:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some of these "fantasy strikes" are really great, but I don't get it why duplicate something like a common US Mint Bicentennial Ike which are readily available on the market.
Edited by NumisEd
04/08/2021 09:55 am
Learn More...
United States
98038 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5526 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
..., but I don't get it why duplicate something like a common US Mint Bicentennial Ike which are readily available on the market.

Carr's Bicentennial pieces are not duplicates - they are dated "1975" not "1776-1976" and are meant to stand in for all of the dual-date Bicentennial coins that were struck in 1975 but w/o such date. As with his other fantasy/overstrike pieces, they are fantasy medals/tokens that address a "What if?" in US coinage.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
916 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  1:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Carr's Bicentennial pieces are not duplicates - they are dated "1975" not "1776-1976" and are meant to stand in for all of the dual-date Bicentennial coins that were struck in 1975 but w/o such date.

Apart from the date, they are indistinguishable from the real coin? If so, then I still don't see the point.
However, making a coin with the same date as the original BUT with a different (non-existing) strike (say proof), THAT would be interesting. For instance, take a 1925 MS Peace dollar and overstrike it to turn it into a 1925 PR69DCAM Peace dollar.
Edited by NumisEd
04/08/2021 1:21 pm
Learn More...
United States
98038 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  1:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
However, making a coin with the same date as the original BUT with a different (non-existing) strike (say proof), THAT would be interesting. For instance, take a 1925 MS Peace dollar and overstrike it to turn it into a 1925 PR69DCAM Peace dollar.
Like the 2009 ASE proof above.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5526 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Apart from the date, they are indistinguishable from the real coin? If so, then I still don't see the point.

Of course, you're welcome to your opinion. I do wonder, however, about what all the collectors who collect series by date would say - to them a date change is fairly significant!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
916 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Of course, you're welcome to your opinion. I do wonder, however, about what all the collectors who collect series by date would say - to them a date change is fairly significant!

Well, yes. But if you are a collector of business strike Peace dollars, the Daniel Carr 1918 Peace dollar should not be part of that series as it is NOT a business strike.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9651 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2009 proof?

1883-O Nut
Valued Member
United States
283 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  07:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chopped Triumphs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice!!
Learn More...
United States
98038 Posts
Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gluggo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Edited by Gluggo
04/09/2021 5:04 pm
Learn More...
United States
98038 Posts
Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gluggo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now for the other side!

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4074 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't understand why these fantasy items fetch such huge prices. Granted, they are well made, but I have a number of well-made fantasies that don't cost moon money, to say nothing of some extremely well-made medals which sell for little more than bullion.
Page: of 4 Replies: 46 / Views: 1,011Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05