Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Does Anyone Know What This Is?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 416Next Topic  
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  10:00 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Nurbloc2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've had this coin for over 30 years. It came from a person that cleaned the Las Vegas greyhound bus station for over 50 years and had been collecting found coins. No one has been able to identify it so any help would be appreciated. Oh and it's tiny... maybe 1/2 inch diameter... and it's not a Red Cross coin. THANKS!

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
3876 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. While waiting for better info to come along, just think of the stories to be told--cleaning the Vegas Greyhound bus station for all those decades.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  10:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nurbloc2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes... I was so lucky... a friend of a friend mentioned this old man with a stash of old coins. Of course I had to sit through hours of talking to convince him they were going to a good home! 50 years ago I noticed a change in pennies, when wheat pennies were still in circulation and I would hide those strange pennies, like a secret treasure. Of course at 6 years old I thought I was the only one that knew or cared about those strange coins. I've collected many more coins since then, half still not identified but I have time &
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4631 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a coin.

Button? (blank reverse with what looks like two protrusions?)

I imagine a bus station is place where a button might be found.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  11:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nurbloc2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow...a button.... you could be onto something here. I found maybe something similar but it won't let me post the image... augh.

Learn More...
United States
99030 Posts
Learn More...
United States
19129 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  10:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could be a button, but I think that normally the broken off bits on the back would be closer to the center. How about an old pin instead? The cross on the other side is similar to a red cross pin, perhaps a bit like this early 1900s Boy Scout volunteer pin (but with the enamel all missing):

Interestingly, both seem to have a textured surface on the inside of the cross (maybe to provide a rough surface for the enamel to grab?)

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
3061 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Circus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have to agree with spence it is a lapel pin The stubs from the hinge pin and keeper are about right for that size disc. and with both crosses havining texture surface I think he is right on
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 416Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05