Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1956 D Embedded Staple?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 342Next Topic  

United States
20 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  11:54 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add up coin creek to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi folks, I pulled this 1956 D out of a penny album for a closer look under my new microscope, and found what looks like a staple embedded in Lincoln's head! your thoughts are much appreciated, and thank you!

Pillar of the Community
United States
3631 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Curious... Please post a (much) larger, sharp photo of the area in question. Thanks.
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add up coin creek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

trying to enlarge!
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add up coin creek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This was taken with my microscope on my computer, sorry not so clear.
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  12:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add up coin creek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

hope this helps!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
290 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  12:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scuba1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF! I feel like I'm seeing something here that looks slightly raised (not incuse other than being buried in Linc's temple.....) but if that is an embedded staple it has to be the smallest staple I have ever seen, maybe some other foreign object?. It doesn't appear to be a carbon spot due to the definition of the object in question and it's definitely not zinc rot due to the year of this Cent. Not sure what I'm seeing here......
Edit: I know it's a very tiny object but do you have a VERY strong magnet to see if there is any attraction in the least bit?
Edited by Scuba1
04/07/2021 12:28 pm
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add up coin creek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tried a large magnet, and it did not stick. thanks for your input! I am new to this and appreciate your help.
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add up coin creek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tried a different magnet on this coin and it did wiggle when close to the object.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50165 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is too small to be a staple. They are much larger than that:

It maybe just a stain on that area? Even a knot on a thread is larger than that:
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15059 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  2:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF , My vote is for a struct through coin .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add up coin creek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the feedback on this mystery object stuck in my penny! I thought maybe the tip of a push pin or earring post, or a piece of staple. fun to keep anyway.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50165 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a test. Please the coin under the scope, and then placed a straight pin on top of the coin, and take an image. Then you will see the differences that the magnification shows. Post it for the forum to see.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Pillar of the Community
United States
1076 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  9:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF

Interesting.
I'm waiting to see the experiment Coop suggested..
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower set coin count: 36/36
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50165 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  01:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The straight pin will look like a pencil because of the magnification.
Richard S. Cooper

United States
20 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add up coin creek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

OK, now I get it! I also have a 1943 steel penny with a purple thread embedded in it? based on the scale I just learned from you. thanks. maybe this object is a tiny wood chip or some other flake of some kind. thanks for the microscope lesson!
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  10:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add up coin creek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

any idea what the purple is?
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 342Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05