Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1880 NFLD 50c - Die Clash

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 229Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
536 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  5:21 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm reposting this coin. I purchased it two weeks ago and, as I've been gazing lovingly at it I noticed an interesting detail. You can't see it in this photo but I think it's got a die clash. Under certainly light I can make out the word "NEWFOUNDLAND" in sort of phantom lettering...backwards and around the edge of the reverse. It's roughly 180 degrees rotated relative to their position on the obverse.

I have zero experience with this sort of thing so I don't know whether it adds value. Any opinions out there?

Pillar of the Community
Canada
3340 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  8:20 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
[quote/]You can't see it in this photo but I think it's got a die clash [quote/r]

if you can't see it in the photo, how can we reply..?
Edited by silverwolf
04/08/2021 07:07 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
536 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm actually just curious whether this sort of thing commands interest with collectors over and above the coin itself.
Valued Member
United States
421 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  09:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dan-in-crystal-lake to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the answer to your question comes down to a couple of different points.

First thing is that there are common clashes. If it's a common one then there would be little interest in the clash.

If it's an unusual clash, there might be interest in the clashed coin from someone that collects clashes.

If it's an unusual and bold clash like the GR-91 on 1881 large cent then the clash is sought after and a premium might get paid.

Having said all of that, I like and collect clashes on large cents. However, I have not paid a premium to acquire one. It would be a factor in my decision of one coin over another. I would take the one with the bold unusual clash.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
626 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  10:10 am  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is there a way you could angle the coin for a photo that would show the clash? I'd love to see it. Haven't seen it before on an NL 50 cent piece.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
536 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately, I still haven't set myself up to take high res photos - that project was interrupted by the pandemic but hopefully I can get that sorted out once the current lockdown is over.

I've been staring at it nonstop. It's still not totally clear to me exactly what is what as it's pretty faint. But it's an unmistakeable set of phantom letters around the edges of the reverse. Most of the word "Newfoundland" is visible - it runs backwards which I believe is what you would expect for a die clash. I think it's actually doubled if you can believe that - as if the collision happened twice with the second rotated by about 3 degrees. Is that even possible?

Anyway, it's quite a strange little freak of a thing. I am thinking I might try and acquire a few lower grade examples on the cheap to see if I can find any others. And of course some high resolution images are also a high priority. I've consulted with a few of my gurus (HP and BB) and neither of them had heard of other examples. So it's either incredibly interesting or the most remotely weird, unimportant oddball in history.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 229Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05