Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1951 D Wheat Penny Error?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 221Next Topic  

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  11:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jenabelle112 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi! I am newer to coin collecting and wondering thoughts regarding this coin. Thinking it's double die in date (51) and Liberty. Assuming the misspelled Liberty is strike error? Does it also have a partial collar? All input appreciated!

Edited by Jenabelle112
04/07/2021 11:25 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4664 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  01:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I don't believe this is an error, and here's why.

Date: it looks pretty normal for a circulated coin. Perhaps you could point out where you're seeing doubling.
If there is doubling, it can take a bit to learn the difference between a doubled die (usually rare and worth something) and Machine Doubling (very common and rarely worth a premium). Doubled dies actually widen the coin's details and produce telltale notched corners and serifs, while Machine Doubling just flattens part of the device.

LIBERTY: It looks like the E and R are damaged. You can see where the upper loop of the R used to be, but a hit shove the metal to where it is.

Rim: It's just worn down into the field. A partial collar strike is what happens when the collar doesn't cover the full thickness of the coin, so part of the edge can expand beyond the normal diameter. Here's a good example: http://goccf.com/t/394723
Feel free to measure your coin's diameter, but I suspect it's no larger than it should be.

Sorry it's not an error, but this is how we learn.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
38510 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  04:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55936 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  09:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks pretty normal to me.

to the CCF!
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  10:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jenabelle112 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all! Very informative and much appreciated :)
Learn More...
United States
98038 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50120 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  5:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is behind your coin. A holder? Or Something else.
What is the weight of your coin? I see a lot of thin rims around the outside edge of your coin. Trying to figure out why it appears so thin? Without the rim to protect the devices, events that removed some of the devices we able to alter them. So if you could post a weight to this thread, it might explain what happened to your coin. Is it under weight, damaged on the rims or a thinned planchet. (My brain likes to figure stuff out.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  4:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jenabelle112 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It weighs 3.06. I will try for a better picture without sitting in the holder
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 221Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05