Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Third Party Gem BU Vs MS?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 435Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1085 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  1:46 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've seen, and heard, the Gem BU term before, especially seeking out the mint-state grades of Australian Wedge-tailed Silver Eagles. It has been my assumption that those with a BU or Gem BU on the label would get a grade lower than MS68. Is this right? Or are they simply bulk submissions requesting the designation, as I've heard a time or two? I also know that overseas, especially in Europe where they have a different scale than the Sheldon, BU and Gem BU are actual listed grades. Just curious.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There's no problem only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Edited by Ballyhoo
04/08/2021 1:50 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15218 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I still use BU and Gem BU on some of my coins . This is what the old timers used to use for uncirculated coins in the U.S. before the Sheldon Grading System .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
9686 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I still use BU and Gem BU on some of my coins

yep, select, choice and gem.
1883-O Nut
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
351 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sharkman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unslabbed BUs are frequently sliders or commercial unc.s with slight circulation.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18449 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use Sheldon grading for US coins, because US collectors are most familiar with this system and I mostly use Sheldon for Canadian coins for the same reason.

I use British adjectival grading for all other coins because that system is much more commonly used and understood by the rest of the World's collectors. Also used by other than US based international auction houses for non US coins.

Is I see it,
MS60-63 = Uncirculated
MS64-66 = choice Uncirculated
MS67-69 = gem Uncirculated.
MS-70 = FDC (Fleur de Coin) In this case only, can apply to both perfectly struck specimen coins as well as proof coins. 'Proof' added as a comment, but that should be obvious for proof coins struck after about 1960.

Irrespective if coins are slab graded or not.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5724 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Based on my read of many US-based auction catalogs over the years. plus books on grading US coins, here is a chart to convert between adjectival and numeric grading:

Uncirculated: MS 60
Select Uncirculated: MS 61-62
Choice Uncirculated: MS 63-64
Gem Uncirculated: MS65-66
Superb Uncirculated: MS 67-68

Of course, this was the scale as used before market grading took over. So, today's "Gem" coins may turn out to be yesterday's "Choice" coins that have strong eye appeal!

Quote:
It has been my assumption that those with a BU or Gem BU on the label would get a grade lower than MS68. Is this right?

In many cases, "Yes, that's correct!" I have, however, purchased a "Gem BU" coin that was submitted for a re-grade and it came bask as MS-69. So, as always, it's best to closely examine a coin vs. just accepting what is listed on a grading label.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17336 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  08:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Originally when the so called Sheldon scale was applied to mint state grades by the ANA in 1977 Gem meant a MS-65 coin. Before they finally went to all 11 grades and dropped the adjectives the grades were
MS-60 Typical Unc
MS-63 Choice Unc
MS-64 Select Unc
MS-65 Gem Unc
MS-67 Superb Unc
MS-70 Perfect Unc
Gary Schmidt
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20201 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  07:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I simply ignore all of those so called grades. I just want all my coins in an Album to look new.
just carl
Learn More...
United States
99495 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I just want all my coins in an Album to look new.
As do we all!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17336 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually I like mine to show a little wear. Proof that they did the job they were intended for.
Gary Schmidt
Learn More...
United States
99495 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do not mind the wear, especially in my 7070. Not just because it is cheaper, but old and worn looks real.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1085 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use the scale mentioned, Commems. Especially with the Pre-decimal Irish coinage I'm avidly pursuing, shooting for the best examples for a complete series. As to the original question, I'm leaning towards PCGS and NGC giving a coin the BU or Gem BU designation because it would grade below a 68. Which sort of makes sense until compared with, say, Morgan dollars.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There's no problem only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Edited by Ballyhoo
04/12/2021 2:32 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 435Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.4 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05