Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Possible 1957 DDO Wheat Penny?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 220Next Topic  

United States
45 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  2:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Numismatiac to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey Folks!

Do you think this could be a 1957 DDO?

Thanks in advance!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3053 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  2:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could be if we could see it
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55872 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  2:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Need pics to help!

to the CCF!
United States
45 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numismatiac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whoops! Forgot the pics - thanks :)

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50088 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks normal to me. What are you seeing doubled? A lot of circulation flattening.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
3595 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not seeing a DDO.
United States
45 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  2:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numismatiac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought I was seeing doubling on the "Y", but I guess that could be flattening? Seems almost like Mechanical Doubling..
Pillar of the Community
Canada
9398 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  3:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not MD, just circulation flattening. Might have taken a hit with something.
United States
45 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  3:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numismatiac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, thanks!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50088 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a good way to train your eyes as to what to see on a doubled die. I'm going to show your how to read the sites to under stand more about the doubled dies. 1957 DDO-001
http://www.varietyvista.com/01a%20L...7PDDO001.htm
Open this up on a different tab and we will examine it to see why it is a doubled die. So when you open it, you see all kind of images on all areas of the coin. But note the description:

Quote:
Description: Extra thickness on LIBERTY and date.

So forget the other images just the ones that are the DDO. Liberty and Date. Those are the doubled die devices. Why are all the others there, in case you are trying to match up dis scratches to determine die states. But look at the date and Liberty. Those are the affected devices. Note the top line:
1957 DDO-001, 1-O-VI
This tells you this is die number one. But what do the 1-O-VI mean? That is the older script they used to use when they identified the dobuled die class number. So what does this formula tell us? the '1' is the first die identified, often the strongest example. -'O'- means it is a DDO. If the letter was an 'R' then it would be a DDR. So what does the 'IV' stand for? This is a class 6 doubled die. What does that mean?

That tells us that the devices affected in certain areas are showing doubling. So look at the date and note what looks doubled there? Note all the date digits are enlarged. The '1' is almost curved. Class 6 doubled dies show a spread most of then on the 957 digits, but on this one all are hub doubled. Now look at Liberty? Compare the devices to the coin you posted. Note how the devices are showing spread in the centers of the digits? The 'IBE' on the bottom left almost look like arrows. That is what the class 6 doubling affects. Note the the 'RTY' that the width of those devices are also enlarged. So the rest of the images are normal. Some will look at those and try matching them to their coin. Well guess what? They all match, except for some. Well the ones on the description are the only ones affected. Those are the ones to match up to. So all the devices must match the hub doubled examples, exactly. If not, they are not from that die, or they are another die that may be listed. So by studying what to look for, then look in those areas on other coins. That is what to look for. The spread of the devices on the centers of the devices. Most have a normal coin and don't see any hub doubling, but start looking at the outside edges of the devices, where all the Machine Doubling happens. If you don't see the wider devices, then move on to the next coin, rather look for the common Machine Doubling. Know what to look for, and THEN, you will find it. Reading the information trains your eyes on what to look for. Eventually they will help you spot something, perhaps when you are getting rid of the coin, something will bring you back to it. Your eye spotted something that your brain didn't associate with a doubled die. So training the eyes are important. Hope this helps?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
1567 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jmkendall to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the plus side, that is not a bad picture. It could be a bit more in focus/higher pixel count, but not bad in the main!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5404 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  11:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with JimmyD above, what you have is circulation flattening. Keep searching!

ša va bien aller

Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 220Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05