Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A "Where's George?" Long-Lost Bill Resurfaces

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 487Next Topic  
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10962 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  1:57 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I stopped actively participating in Where's George? a long, long time ago, mostly because of the lousy hit rate. Mark up 100 notes and you might get 2 or 3 hits. The math gets worse for 2nd or 3rd hits for a note. Even worse a note might be taken out of circulation for wear or because it had been marked on before it had any hits at all.

Well, yesterday I received an email from Where's George letting me know a note I had entered 16+ years ago had a hit (its first). It had only traveled 307 miles in all those years so it must have been stashed away somewhere.

Anyway, thought I'd share. Happy Friday!
Pillar of the Community
United States
9683 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hah, yeah, I'll bet it smells like clean socks....
1883-O Nut
Learn More...
United States
99412 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1567 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  3:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jmkendall to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have often wondered about these, thank you!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3162 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm familiar with WG and participated in some of the forum discussions but never was a big fan. Mostly because many of the WG members use a stamp to increase potential hits (I'm guessing) which ruins the note for collectors. Congratulations on the 16+ years hit on your entry.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1296 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  5:12 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We have "Where's Willy?" for $5 up here in Canada & my first experience with it was finding a 2004 BER $10 stamped with the "Where's Willy?" tracking info. https://www.whereswilly.com/ [They were supposed to track $5 but someone thought he'd stamp a $10] It's like a backwater cousin to the Where's George site.

The 2004 was the more common year/prefix change-over (from 2003) but still a nice note to collect & it was crisp. Came from Quebec but I had to throw it back into the wild (due to the ink). Only saw a couple rags with the same prefix so wasn't too impressed with the whole stamping/tracking business of these sites. But then I mellowed out a little and did find it interesting to see where the notes would travel from (all the while hoping I didn't come across another)

But that discovery (after 16 years) is interesting 'CelticKnot' thanks for sharing. [Sort of coincides with my experience 16 or 17 years ago with that $10 BER from 2004]. There is also a EuroBillTracker site out there:
https://en.eurobilltracker.com/about/
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11548 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's travelled farther than I have in 16 years.
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10962 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  10:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's travelled farther than I have in 16 years.

WG is pretty entertaining if nothing else. Like I said, folks, I haven't marked notes for WG in 15 years or so. I was gobsmacked to see that this one hit, so many years later.

@Steve, as far as ruining any collector value, I wasn't marking fresh, crisp straps of notes. Everything I marked was from circulation and already had wear on it. Again, the poor hit rate was discouraging so I gave it up, long before I became a collector of U.S. currency. Live and learn, I suppose.
Edited by CelticKnot
04/09/2021 10:44 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4412 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  01:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've had a few pass through my hands (in years back) and had no idea what was up with WGs...So I can honestly say some have made their way to Ca.
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10962 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Greasy, yeah, you may be surprised if you delve into some of the WG stats. They get broken down as far as ZIP code.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1548 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  02:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoubleEagle20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Low denomination notes don't really travel as much as one would think. They just tend to go around and around within a certain region for the most part.

The $100's are the ones that seem to travel the most. I've seen them quite commonly with Arabic stamps.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 487Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05