Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1996 "W" Silver Eagle

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 892Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  4:01 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Grumell1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,
I started stcking silver for my son and picked up a 1996 W silver eagle the other day at a local gold shop. I could not find any info on the "W" mint mark for 1996's. Anyone know if this is maybe a comemorative, or maybe I received counterfeit silver? Any help would be great. Thank you

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50884 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think they are listed in the bullion area on PCGS:
https://www.PCGS.com/coinfacts/coin...r-eagle/9900
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2863 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

I can't tell for sure from the image, but I don't see the detail in the feathers that a American Silver Eagle should have. I'm thinking this may be a counterfeit.
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3174 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm thinking this may be a counterfeit.

The details are not there. Unless you can post better photos
Valued Member
United States
435 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is definitely a counterfeit eagle

Other areas where the details are wrong are the lines in the shield, the dots between USofA and the denomination are too large, the initials are massive, and even the type face isn't quite right
Learn More...
United States
99503 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grumell1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all. Here are better pics. See what you mean by the details on the feathers after compairing to pics online. I'm going to be ticked if so. Bought 10 at $33 each from a gold shop chain called "Gold Rush". They said they did an acid test on each when I asked.

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grumell1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all. Here are better pics. See what you mean by the details on the feathers after compairing to pics online. I'm going to be ticked if so. Bought 10 at $33 each from a gold shop chain called "Gold Rush". They said they did an acid test on all.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grumell1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry. New to this, lol

Pillar of the Community
United States
5912 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  5:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Horrific counterfeit. Try to go and get your money back. If that doesn't work then chalk it up to a lesson learned. You can also review the gold place on-line and poke a stick in their eye with a few bad reviews.

The gold place knows EXACTLY what they sold you and knew 110% that those coins were not genuine ASE's.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3367 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
an acid test would have left a stain on the coins as well. I am not seeing it. Definitely fake..
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1986 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, those are some bad looking fakes - There were no 1996 W ASE's (right?)
Everything can change in just one day.........
Best Lincoln roll find & Nicest WOODY find
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10967 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  11:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh man... sorry, that is (as others have mentioned) a bad fake.

Quote:
There were no 1996 W ASE's (right?)

Correct. The only 1996 ASEs that had a mint mark were the P proofs.
Edited by CelticKnot
04/09/2021 11:28 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4420 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  11:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF....Wow...sorry about this bad purchase, hope you get your money back....
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  11:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grumell1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for the help, also the warm welcome. Excited to be here and hopefully learn more so can avoid things like this in the future.
Valued Member
United States
431 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrpapageorgio to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That "1996" font looks terrible and has me saying FAKE off the bat.

That and there's no 1996-W that I'm aware of with the W mark.

Too many lines in the shield also along with the spacing in "E Pluribus" being too close together. It looks like 1 word in yours where the spacing is much more distinct in a real one.
Edited by mrpapageorgio
04/10/2021 4:50 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 892Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05