Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Authentic Alexander III Tetradrachm?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 181Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3459 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  4:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Archraz to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi Everyone,
I was wondering if you could help me authenticate and identify this Tetradrachm of Alexander the Great. I do not see any signs of casting. It appears to be of the proper weight and diameter for an issue of this period at 16.1 grams and 31mm. Do you think that it is authentic?

Also, is appears to be similar in design to tetradrachms struck in Mesembria, Thrace ca. 175-125BCE. Is my identification in the right ballpark? Thanks for any help you can provide!

Edited by Archraz
04/09/2021 5:01 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18443 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  6:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It certainly looks to be genuine, but I can't pick it from these pictures. There is no wear or sign of surface deterioration on this coin at all. But it may have come from a hoard of freshly struck coins.

That it may be a modern die struck cannot be completely dismissed.
You will notice that I didn't say 'fake' in the above line, because like I said before that, too good for me to pick.

It is not often that the condition term of 'uncirculated' can be applied to an ancient coin, more like 'as struck' should be applied.

What is the provenance of this coin, and can it be independently proven?

XRF may help to prove, which looks at the surface layer of the coin only. Look for the variety of trace elements in the analysis, which in total should be around 1-3%, and not for the purity of the silver. A modern alloy should be discreet and coin have silver and perhaps copper only.

A very valuable coin if proven to be genuine, due to it's condition.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3459 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Archraz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sel_69l - Thank you very much for all of your thoughts on this coin. It is very much appreciated.

Honestly, I don't own the coin - I just spotted it for sale via a reputable online seller. It looked very nice, but it was not identified as being from Mesembria, Thrace. Rather, it was just listed as an Alexander tetradrachm. While the dealer may not realize that this coin is as scarce as it may be (if authentic), I was mostly trying to get some opinions and advice since it looked a bit too good to be true.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18443 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  05:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Looked too good to be true" was one of my thoughts, but not the most prominent.
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 181Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05