Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

General Question About 1890's Large Cents.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 563Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
1568 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  9:56 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jmkendall to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
As an American coin dealer I sometimes come across Canadian coins. Most I toss into a can for a buddy to take to Windsor gambling and cash in.

last week I bought a deal with an 1892, 1894, 1896 and two 1899 Large cents. I'm not up on Canadian grading but one would grade VF35, the others EF40 to AU.

I am learry about putting them on ebay as I am unsure about customs and postage and whatnot eating into my price.

Assuming I'm correct in the grade, looking at past sales shows the grouping worth about $50 USD. Is this worth the expense and hassle of listing them?

IF there is any interest I can upload some pics. IF there is interest I can list them here on the forum. I just need someone to walk me through the proceedure for sending them 'Up" there.

Thanks
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1202 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You will probably find these two site's helpful. If the grades are correct, you could probably get a bit more, especially if it is one of the better varieties. I usually send most lower value lots ~$70ish via. regular mail USPS/Canpost with no issues. If I am concerned about the lot, I send as a package with tracking. Customs is generally not an issue, canada post has an online form to fill out for customs (I would be surprised if usps does not have a similar method). I also receive packages from US sellers with no issue.

Ebay has a terrible global shipping program that charges duty/tax on anything, even if nothing is due.

To help with grading
http://www.saskatooncoinclub.ca/art...ns-ver2.html

Pricing
https://www.coinsandcanada.com/coin...&Send=Search
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2570 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
list them on ebay, $10 shipping, and hope (99.9%) that the buyer doesn't file a did not received claim.

if it was a bulk buy I would guess that the $10 shipping would cover any loss (low chance that it happens)

OR,

post here as you have enough posts to do so
Coin Collecting... "I'm in it for the money" ™
Pillar of the Community
Canada
534 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  01:14 am  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been buying and selling on ebay for 20 years.
If they are really the higher grades you say, sell them separately (check some ICCS graded examples). You will make more - yes, higher fees but some buyers are picky, ahem hello, and won't want some of the 4 and will not bid as high.

ebay and Paypal fees are about 15% overall.

I started on ebay in 2000 and I've sent several thousand coin lots by first-class mail to Canada and the US (and int'l). I had to reimburse maybe 2 people for non-receipt ($10-20 lot). Anything that fits the package size goes first class except lots of $100 or more or possible sketchy buyer (low or any negative feedback).

First class mail does not need a customs paper. Put the 4 coins between 2 pieces cardboard, (not corrugated, too thick), put it in a regular or business size envelope and it will cost you about $2 to Canada. If packed well (put tape), no one will have any idea what's in the envelope.

DO NOT use the ebay global system; it will cost Canadians $15 or more for shipping PLUS duty and taxes. Antique and other old collector Canadian coins and almost all other legal tender coins coming back to Canada are exempt from duty and taxes.

If it is ever necessary to use a customs paper for larger packages, here's a legal trick. Say you send 3 Victorian quarters worth $100, you can mark " Canadian legal tender" and "face value" of $0.75, and mark $100 insurance (sometimes mail insurance is automatic [$100?] with the package cost).

Post photos of the coins here and everyone will chime in with grades.
Edited by TerryT
04/10/2021 01:18 am
Valued Member
Canada
221 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  02:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cdngmt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As a sometime EBay purchaser from Canada I concur with Terry. If the coins are grouped few(er) purchasers would want to add yet more coins of years they have a number of. As to the Ebay global shipping program, whereas occasional importers are rarely assessed sales taxes either 5% federal and up to 10% additionally for provincial sales tax, for values under $100 mail is rarely stopped and taxes collected.
Ebay (as a commercial shipper I believe) is required to file import invoices. So...filing fees are charged (and not at a discount rate)as well as sales tax percentages. I rarely see Global prices at less than $20-$22. Doesn't make sense on items that would sell for $50 or less ( and the US$ premium makes the ouch even worse.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3585 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  07:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, you have a nice group to think about. All 4 dates have some specific scarcer varieties that can make each of them worth 3-8 times what a normal one would. Try to find the 2011 Charlton guide that has Vicky varieties in the back or refer to the links sent above. You could post a couple on here and have experienced eyes look at them.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1338 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  11:03 am  Show Profile   Check 47P7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a link to the Customs rule book with fees, % of duty etc.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-c...h71-eng.html

as description for coins, I always use either:
collectors items
or
Collectors tokens
or Numismatic items. + the tariff #.

NEVER write coins or money or similar on the form or envelope.
I only had to pay once unexpectedly. if that happens, Canada Post will also add $9.75 as their fee. Customs will only charge the GST of 5 %.
I have it from a high up Customs official that what they collect has to be at least what it costs on expenses to collect.
upon inquiry, they refunded all monies... however, it took 3 months.
Edited by 47P7
04/10/2021 7:15 pm
Valued Member
United States
424 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dan-in-crystal-lake to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can always restrict shipping to the U.S. and not worry about the Canadian customs issues. Although you limit your potential audience, USPS tracking will ensure that your coins are received. There are Canadian large cent collectors in the U.S. I know cuz I'm one of them. :)
Pillar of the Community
United States
3048 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's what I did when I sold some Canadian large cents last year—restricted to US shipping to avoid dealing with international shipping and customs. They sold without problem to a US buyer (apologies to all the Canadian collectors since this is a Canadian coin forum...)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1568 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jmkendall to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for the input. It is very helpfull. I'll post them in the grading section this weekend, and if it seems that the concensus is that selling these coins are worthwhile, I'll go from there.

Thank you all! Thank you as well for the links.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 563Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05