Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1938 D/D Nickel With Spot Thoughts

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 202Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
603 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  11:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
is this a carbon spot on the nose? Is there a way to remove it without damaging the coin?

Pillar of the Community
United States
7809 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  01:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin is beautiful. I would leave it alone as it is.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
241 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  08:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kcm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that it would be unwise to tamper with this coin. It's supposed to be a homogenous blend of 75% copper and 25% nickel. To me it looks as though the homogeneity failed. All metals (indeed all matter) are held together by electromagnetism. It keeps the nucleus in touch with the electrons. Sometimes that elctromagnetic force will either shun other metals or attract similar metals. You probably know that, but not everyone does. Please forgive my pomposity. This looks to me like some nickel atoms called a meeting of the local nickel atoms without inviting any copper atoms.

I also agree it's a beautiful coin as it stands.

Kevin
Edited by Kcm
04/10/2021 09:07 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56891 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  08:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Guessing I'd leave well enough alone.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3956 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  09:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tell ya, those atoms are a pesky bunch.

That said, I'd leave the coin as it is.
Pillar of the Community
United States
603 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  09:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sounds good to me I will leave it as is
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10074 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i agree this is a nice buff barring the wart. it is in the most prominent key area and the eye is drawn there immediately. a couple minor ticks. lighting may hide more but I see one on the horn and what looks like a couple along the jaw line. the left front leg is nicely rounded and the left hock is sharply defined. nicely split tail. the fur on the head and back weakness could be from strike or die polishing or a combination of both. i'd like to see what FC thinks about that. due to the issues noted I have a hard time getting it to MS66 so I'm at MS65. not sure how a TPG would do in regards to eye appeal for the spot.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 202Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05