Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Found Similar Anomalies On 1982-P 50 No FG's.are These Known Already?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 423Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
463 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  04:12 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JDRMCB to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently found a decent looking No FG while going through my weekly box of halves (along with 6 - 90% incl. 3 Franklin's, 4 - 40%, 18 proofs, most are DCAM's, and a pretty 1973-D DDO FS-101) and I noticed some obvious raised anomalies in the field on the reverse and upon scanning through the PCGS Registry I found some No FG's with the exact same anomalies, I mean identical. This is obviously a same die issue but is it already well known? And what is the etiology behind these anomalies? See images below for comparison. And thanks in advance.

My coin:

Other known examples:

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50789 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  07:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are die events. The FG was there when the die was fresh, now just polished away. So the FG wasn't forgotten off the die, it was removed during normal polishing to remove clash marks. The grading companies are the making money on these die events.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
463 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JDRMCB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm well aware of how the No FG's came to be Coop, what I was asking is what would you call these anomalies(see red arrows in 2nd image) and what exactly happened to that particular working die to produce said anomalies. And since this is a single die issue that is also a known No FG, couldn't these be used as die markers of sorts for the No FG attribution?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50789 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The thing is that they didn't just happen on one die. They all were progressing to get that way in various stages. So markers would not be any use. If there are several dies with this event, then it was not just one die. The better marker would be the mintmark locations. If they were different dies, the locations would be slightly different in location/angle of placement/strength of the Mintmark/shape of MM.Die markers would be a fall back as a secondary ID. But to me they are not that interesting. I'm a variety collector, these are die events. Big difference.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Valued Member
United States
463 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JDRMCB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a glimpse of what I saw when I opened this box of halves....
It's been awhile since I've seen that many promising enders!

Valued Member
United States
463 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JDRMCB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coop, the "event" that produced these anomalies are obviously exclusive to a single die because I have seen numerous examples that display the exact same ones and using mint mark placement for attribution would only be helpful if you happened to know every single die pairing for the No FG's, being that this is a reverse die variety. Am I wrong?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
736 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you look in the catalog you will find 1982 P with no FG, and this because it is know and has a little premium.

You has a good logic. But think a die (hammer or anvil) will strike 120 to 150K coins. The bottom of this it is we can find many. So the rarity is not so high.

Me I like the blue book. Is mention there no FG. Premium for MS63 and up. Is not worth to be certify.
Valued Member
United States
157 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  09:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hermz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, I'd be excited to receive a box of half's looking like that. Out of the times I've gotten a full box never had Enders, only random's in rolls for silver. That's awesome!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50789 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No a die variety starts off from coin one showing the hub/rpm issues from the first coin. A die event is something that happens in time. Example a person who goes blind in later years, was not blind from birth. It developed later in life. Same way with die events, they start out normal, but as the die ages, the events happen and alter the coin. Just noticed the red arrows on the reverse image. Those are small die damage marks. They are raised. If they were incuse, they would be coin damage.

Keep a tab of what silver and very nice coins you find. Possibly someone passed away/or the collection was stolen, and the collection was tossed into a "Coin Star". You might find a whole collection of coins from someones book. Take you time with this box. Share what you find. That way we get to be a part of it as well.

Richard S. Cooper

Valued Member
United States
463 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  05:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JDRMCB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, I could never bring myself to spend any old silver coinage for face value, if I was hurting that bad for money I'd prolly sell my wife first.
But that's gotta be how this stuff is ending up in circulation.....
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50789 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
if I was hurting that bad for money I'd prolly sell my wife first.

Probably the only way you would survive that, is to not let her see that comment. If she did, I'd fear for you.
Richard S. Cooper

Edited by coop
04/14/2021 5:18 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
736 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And maybe make long term contract for a affordable good food in the city.
Edited by silviosi
04/14/2021 5:35 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1591 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool coin! I would call these die dents.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 423Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05