Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Tribute To Prince Philip, Duke Of Edinburgh

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 407Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8515 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  04:47 am Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
As I'm sure you all know, Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh and Consort to Queen Elizabeth II, passed away yesterday at the age of 99.

He has appeared on numerous coins, not merely British ones, while others have shown his name or coat-of-arms without his portrait.

So post your tributes to Prince Philip here. This is the British 5 coin issued in 1997 for the Royal Golden Wedding Anniversary. Unusually, it shows both the Queen and Prince Philip in profile on the obverse, with their coats-of-arms on the reverse and an anchor to represent the Duke of Edinburgh's career in the Royal Navy. Unlike recent 5 'coins', this one was readily available from banks and post offices for face value!

I only saw the Duke of Edinburgh once, when he rode up the River Thames in London with the Queen on the Royal Barge on the occasion of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee in 2012.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5706 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  07:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a pair of silver $5.00 coins issued by the Royal Canadian Mint ( RCM) that I have in my collection. Philip is a secondary character in the design of each coin, but he is shown accompanying his wife as she inspects Canadian troops, first while a Princess and then again, years later, as the Queen.

The coins were issued in 2014 (Princess) and 2015 (Queen).

I've posted about these two coins previously:

- 2014-15 Princess to Monarch Silver $5.00 Coins

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18443 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Prince Philip liked Australia. Visited Oz about 20 times mostly with his wife, sometimes by himself, played polo here on country properties, opened the 1956 Melbourne Olympic Games, sent Charles to Timbertop Campus of Geelong Grammar School for a year.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1344 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  10:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add owatchman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One from the Caymans from 1972.

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8515 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  05:36 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great contributions! owatchman - I remember that Cayman Islands made quite a stir in the numismatic community at the time, as it was the first time the Queen had appeared with another person on a coin, and it had her portrait on both the obverse and reverse!

The British Silver Wedding coin was much plainer and bore the initials E and P for Elizabeth and Philip:

The Isle of Man used the couple's coats-of-arms, in a similar way to the later UK 5 coin:

Edited by NumisRob
04/11/2021 05:38 am
Learn More...
United States
99390 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 407Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05