Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

So What Are Your Recent Pickups?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 441Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
562 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  09:47 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jskirwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Looks like my targets have dried up over the next few auctions so I'm curious to what others have been picking up. Here's my latest. It's not much but it is one of the first coins ever minted, and the oldest coin in my collection.

Lydia, Kroisos 561-546 BC, Third Stater
Edited by jskirwin
04/10/2021 09:48 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
5781 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  10:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats on the Lydian stater, jskirwin. That is a seriously old hunk of silver.

My most recent pickup, though not a coin, is the dagger below. I have a more unusual (and cooler) dagger en route from Europe now, but the one below is my most recent received item.

AE Dagger
Western Asia (possibly Luristan)
1200-800 BC
29.7cm (11.7")

Description:
Flanged hilt with no wood or ivory remaining, hilt tapering down to splayed end, blade and hilt cast in one piece
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4654 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you guys know I mostly play toward the end of the time range for this sub-forum (and into the next two centuries), but I have two recent 15th century pickups.
The first was posted here on April 1: http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...hichpage=371

And last week I won this one at the CNG online auction (still in transit):
Repubic of Venice, 1 mocenigo (= 1 lira), Doge Agostino Barberigo. The mint supervisor's initials, ZAP for Zan Alvise Pisano (reverse in the sarcophagus/exergue) can be used to date the coin to Oct, 1499-Jan. 1500.

Edited by tdziemia
04/10/2021 3:30 pm
Learn More...
United States
19186 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fun idea for a thread! I'm in the process of purchasing the estate of a (deceased) collector of early dated coins and this arrived in the mail the other day. I'm doubtful that our "how far back can you go" series of threads will ever get back to 1450, so here is my Groschen issued by the German Archbishopric of Cologne (Riehl mint). I have it attributed as Levinson I-90.

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
23518 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice coins, wish I had something to add but I haven't bought any coins in more than a year.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4654 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  08:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm in the process of purchasing the estate of a (deceased) collector of early dated coins ...

Now THAT sounds pretty exciting!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2256 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  09:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jskirwin....Very nice pick up! Can still make out the Bull and Lion facing.
Lovely medieval coins posted and a great looking dagger Bob!
My latest is this rare variant I recently added to my Hindu Kashmir set..
Jagadeva 1199-1212 AD..
Pillar of the Community
United States
562 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jskirwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sweet pickups. Like the Medievals even thought they aren't my thing.

@Echizento, what's behind the dry spell? No money or good coins?
I went almost a year in 2019 without purchasing due to both. Everything I was interested in was way beyond my price range.
Even so I average about 4 coins/year, which doesn't seem like a lot.
Learn More...
United States
19186 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one Paul! @tdz, yes exciting because some of these coins rarely come up for sale, but at the same time it makes me feel a bit like a vulture.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3463 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Now THAT sounds pretty exciting!

IIRC 1450 was one of the CCF OFEY gaps I previously identified, but 1451-53 don't have any AD dated coins at all, so getting through those to 1450 would indeed be quite tough.
(Though I did buy a coin a few months ago that, if the attribution on the 2x2 turns out to be correct, would qualify for 1452.)

In my case, alas, I'll probably have to look through my ziplocs full of assorted ancients bought in the last year or so (and jog my memory) to tell which ones were the most recent pickups. (And even then it would probably only get as close as my most recent batch - which, if it's the one I think it is, contains something like 30-ish coins.)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4654 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... it makes me feel a bit like a vulture.

Nah. You are helping settle the estate. ALways a good thing/
Many of us hope that the disposition of our collection would go to an appreciative collector!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4654 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Venice coin arrived Monday (from an auction that closed only 5 days before). While I realized from the auction description this would be a relatively large silver coin for its time, I am really impressed (and the auction photo did not do justice to the attractive patina).

As I have dropped more money on more modern, and far more homely Polish coins while pursuing my Kingdom of Poland OFEY, I am now thinking I SHOULD BE COLLECTING MORE FROM VENICE!

Valued Member
Cyprus
212 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add micha to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Two awesome lots from Switzerland

Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 441Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05