Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I'm Using A Book For References In Grading Though Question Old With New.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 355Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
214 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  2:06 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add youngmaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So the book I use for reference is The official american Numisatic association grading standards for United States coins 6th edition. Is this fine for me to use as a reference?

Also what are the differences between newer and older grading book standards what usually is changed? I would kinda like to know what to expect when they launch new editions persay. One more thing where to find the official standards?

Bedrock of the Community
United States
38825 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  2:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
7858 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
6th edition is fine, Photograde online from PCGS is also a great free reference, nothing better than hands on experience of looking at tens of thousands of coins with your own eyes. I go to auction viewing as often as possible, to get my hands on as many different series as possible, coin shows as well, I'm lucky enough to have Heritage Auctions only a few miles from my home.

I can't recommend the ANA Summer Seminars enough I've been through the grading courses at least 3 times, in total I've think I've attended 10 or 11 weeks over the years. Once the world get's back to a more normal era again, things will be easier when coin shows start up again.

The books are good but nothing will help better than a good mentor and lots and lots of hands on looking at coins. I also suggest the EAC grading guide for advanced study in early American copper coinage. Get comfortable with the circulated grades first then move into the difference in Mint State coins, study minting processes as well, this will help you to better understand things like strike characteristics, specific year and date issues, among other things that are just going to help you with the process better.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2˘ variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Valued Member
United States
214 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add youngmaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I c this is great feedback thanks It didnt occur to me to compare on the site pictures so ill be exploring that. Again thanks
Valued Member
United States
297 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  11:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikem007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you have some spending money, buy some really cheap slabs (graded coins) on ebay and use those for reference when grading your own coins. Nothing like having a coin in hand to use as reference. There's a lot of people like me who spent $35 for have a coin graded to only find out it's worth $1. I found that the photograde images don't do a great job when trying to grade between MS65 vs MS66 vs MS67 or 68. The difference is so minimal that it becomes spectacular...
Valued Member
United States
214 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add youngmaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You know I was wondering on those grades myself you are right I agree so to identify what take priority is the detail involved.
Valued Member
United States
216 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2021  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I personally prefer PhotoGrade as a reference and I prefer the online color versions from PCGS and others over the book by Ruddy for circulated coinage (AG-AU). For uncirculated coins I prefer a book "How to Grade U.S. Coins" by James Halperin. This book shows each coins high points of wear to determine unc from a high grade AU and it offers color charts that show which areas of a particular coin are more serious than others when it comes to blemishes. For example: several small scuffs in the hair detail of a Morgan dollar are less noticeable than one on the cheek or in an empty field and therefore not a serious.
Valued Member
United States
214 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2021  02:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add youngmaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe thats what I'm looking for. Great responses. Thank u all.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 355Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.46 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05