Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1894 Newfoundland 20 Cent. You Vs. PCGS

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 521Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3367 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  6:08 pm Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What do you think PCGS, gave it, and what do you think ICCS, would give it..

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
57050 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say PCGS gave it MS-64.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18450 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  6:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will guess MS-64, but the screen pictures of coin under the plastic not really good enough for me to give a reliable MS grading.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3367 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
updated cropped photos.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8374 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to tell for sure through all that plastic but it looks like wear on the eyebrow, earlobe, and lowest laurel leaf.
AU58
I'm concerned about the black spots.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1991 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the upthread comments regarding grade and the spots. I also see what appears to be wear on the knot and possibly the hair above the ear.

PCGS MS-64, ICCS AU-58.

Nice coin, though!
Valued Member
Australia
351 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echidna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Canada
574 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  10:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-64 at both. Also curious about those spots. If they're corrosion then PCGS would give the same grade so MS-64 + details whereas ICCS might knock it down a notch or two.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18450 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  11:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the opinion that there is a tiny amount of wear on the high points, that can seen on the obverse.
Some small black spots, nice luster under the light patina.
AU-58.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
894 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  08:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PCGS MS64, ICCS MS63, spots although somewhat distracting I think would be ignored by both. IMO

Cheers, Bill
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1338 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  12:14 pm  Show Profile   Check 47P7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS 60
maybe details (cleaned) no offence please. when enlarged there are some questionable things.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3895 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Carbon spots are an issue for sure .
Tend to agree with @47P7,
when blown up , patchy hairlines
some light marks on my screen , 60 is
Probably fair . As to ICCS , they are
tough on these , so AU58 .
Still a most desirable coin !
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3367 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2021  4:40 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the carbon spots aren't seen with the human eye, without magnification..

PCGS grade this coin AU 55..
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 521Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05