Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Anac's At $10 Vs PCGS & NGC At $22 To $35

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 616Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
496 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  8:24 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
It's a topic that's been covered before I'm sure, but I was just curious about how the forum feels about the ANACs $10 offer they've been running lately. So here's the question:

If you have a coin graded by NGC or PCGS, do you believe that the price you can sell this coin for at a later date will justify the additional cost of getting it graded by and in a NGC or PCGS slab instead of an ANAC's grade/slab. In other words, if a coin is worth lets say $75 in an ANAC's slab, will the same coin, same grade be worth $90 or $95 if graded and slabbed by NGC or PCGS?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4664 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your question should be answered by data analytics, not by how the Forum feels about the question.

Do you have a particular type and grade level in mind? That makes the analysis a lot easier.

Edit: I just re-read your question:

Quote:
if a coin is worth lets say $75 in an ANAC's slab, will the SAME COIN, same grade be worth $90 or $95 if graded and slabbed by ...

Nobody here will be able to answer that question, because the data doesn't exist as far as I can tell.
What CAN be answered is whether a certain type and date coin in a specific grade sells better in an ANACS slab or an NGC slab or a PCGS slab.

Edited by tdziemia
04/10/2021 9:59 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
57018 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One thing to consider - the major auction houses do not sell ANACS holders.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1137 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
One thing to consider - the major auction houses do not sell ANACS holders

Not sure what you mean. Sell empty holders, sell ANACS slabbed coins? For sure they do the latter.
Valued Member
United States
496 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Do you have a particular type and grade level in mind?

Nope, my mind is a blank canvas .............. at least that's what I've been told.
Edited by KauaiHawaiiGuy
04/10/2021 10:02 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4664 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  5:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's not easy to get relevant data because far fewer ANACS coins come up for sale,and you want to compare at the same grade and around the same time.

But here is one comparison. I looked at the 1881-S Morgan (highest frequency Morgan in the PCGS database) in MS65, sold at Heritage Auctions in the 5 months Oct 2020 - Feb 2021. Median selling price was as follows:
PCGS - $132 (N=27)
NGC - $120 (N=10)
ANACS - $105 (N=3)

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
57018 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NumisEd - Heritage and Stacks/Bowers do not auction ANACS slabs, do they?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4664 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  9:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Heritage certainly does.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
57018 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, didn't know that! Can you link me to an ANACS slab on auction at Heritage? Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1137 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  10:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
https://coins.ha.com/itm/morgan-dol...ption-071515

What made you think Heritage doesn't sell ANACS graded coins?
I did however never see an ICG slab on Heritage. But I guess that would be understandable, as Heritage probably has to uphold certain standards.
Edited by NumisEd
04/11/2021 10:17 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8528 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  10:22 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll pitch in with this. If the coin has a big jump between grades X and Y, or has a high retail value in general, or is a well known variety, PCGS is best, than NGC. ANACS is good for low value coins where the "grade" or holder make little difference.
Pillar of the Community
United States
943 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Check Collects82's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Collects82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My guess is that Heritage will auction coins previously slabbed by ANACS for which they agree with the grade. But for coins they have slabbed prior to auction, its PCGS or NGC.
My hoard of '82s is up to 204! 218 BC x 1, 118 BC x 3, 18 BC x 1, 82 x 1, 182 x 1, 282 x 2, 382 x 1, 582 x 2, 682 x 1, 782 x 2, 882 x 1, 982 x 4, 1082 x 1 1182 x 8, 1282 x 2, 1382 x 1, 1482 x 5, 1582 x 13, 1682 x 15, 1782 x 57, 1882 x 49, 1982 x 33
Pillar of the Community
United States
605 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  10:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
personally I think ANACS grades as tough as anyone on Morgans and can be great values , Vams and common dates are great to send to them since there is a lower grading cost and they attribute all the vams. Higher dollar coins id send to PCGS and NGC since they trade for higher it seems .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3895 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  11:08 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree that ANACS is as tough as anyone these days.
They run Great Specials and VAM attribution is second to
none . Also for us in our online business they sell well .
For better World we use NGC , never PCGS!
For Canada only ICCS , it is what our clientele
demands for the Canadian Market .
I am pretty gun shy when it comes to PCGS and will
only buy PCGS coins SIGHT Seen .
Quite frankly their grading is not up to world class
standards in the last four years or so , in my opinion.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4664 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  08:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From these comments it sounds like if you are a BUYER you look for ANACS, but if you are thinking of SELLING, you want your coin in a PCGS or NGC slab.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20201 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2021  08:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been going to coin shows for what feels like a million years. At all of them I hear "Of course it cost more, it's in a PCGS slab"
just carl
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 616Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05